• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling stats

Chris Griggs

Hi guys,

Just launched my own site, Unique fishing stats based on your catches | The Angling Edge which allows you to get detailed stats and charts on your catches based on moon phase, wind conditions and pressure etc. Its free, and will automatically gather lunar and weather data for catches since 2008. No one can see your catches unless you share them!

Would love hear a few of your guys thoughts.

Cheers,
Chris.

Can everyone see your stats?

No, all stats and catches are private (unless you decide to share a catch to Facebook/Twitter), only you can view them.

Chris.

Very good Chris registered and looks good.

No point in me using it then!

We could start our own version Rhys, recording numbers of times swans wiped you out, numbers of otters/mink spotted, highest numbers of lager can varieties or largest dog doo doo's present in the swim....stuff like that. Photographic evidence would be required for some of this of course, if a competitive element with prizes was introduced :p

Cheers, Dave.

Chris, I would have thought that recording blanks was as important as recording catches. If there is a particular point in the lunar cycle where nobody catches at all, it would be an intersting fact to be aware of. Presumably as it's your site, YOU will have access to the data, will you not?

Chris, how specific is the 'venue' section? I imagine that some people might not want to give that sort of info away, and /or it might lead to over populated venues where lots of posts come from?

Chris, I would have thought that recording blanks was as important as recording catches. If there is a particular point in the lunar cycle where nobody catches at all, it would be an intersting fact to be aware of. Presumably as it's your site, YOU will have access to the data, will you not?

Completely agree Anthony, and was something I did consider. I thought it a bit much for anglers to record blanks as well, but its something that I could introduce for the future.

You are correct regarding the data, as yes, it is stored in the database that I have access to, but as per the t&c's the info remains private.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Chris, how specific is the 'venue' section? I imagine that some people might not want to give that sort of info away, and /or it might lead to over populated venues where lots of posts come from?

Nick, the venues can be marked as private when adding (as the majority of users have done) hence they will not show in the venues list. it may turn out that eventually I remove the venue list all together, but its early days only being live a couple of days. Had a great response though.

LOL! You could add that to the notes section ;)

I have been considering a more serious (and possibly over ambitious!) application of the data.

Given enough catches uploaded we could begin to see trends over time that may be representative of fish size/growth etc. e.g. would be interesting to see the average size of Barbel caught from the Great Ouse over the past 3-4 years!. However, it is fairly obvious there are an incredibly wide range of variables to consider, beyond weather and lunar conditions, such as how many times I've cast into a tree and scared all the fish for example!

Last edited:
LOL! You could add that to the notes section ;)

I have been considering a more serious (and possibly over ambitious!) application of the data.

Given enough catches uploaded we could begin to see trends over time that may be representative of fish size/growth etc. e.g. would be interesting to see the average size of Barbel caught from the Great Ouse over the past 3-4 years!. However, it is fairly obvious there are an incredibly wide range of variables to consider, beyond weather and lunar conditions, such as how many times I've cast into a tree and scared all the fish for example!

What the hell were the fish doing up the tree in the first place :eek:

Sorry Chris, couldn't resist it :D

Cheers, Dave.

i agree with anthony too re the blanks.

i put some stuff in from last years tench fishing, i had some blanks inbetween and it would be great to see what conditions and moon phases were

Back