• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling mail

I almost got a place in Anglers Mail back in the 80s. I was fishing Farnborough Pool for carp when a guy came up and started chatting. It was a nice summers evening and just after he started to chat my rod was away. It was before baitrunners and the method was to fish an open spool and clip up before the butt ring. I grabbed the rod and struck but forgot to engage the bail arm and the resulting birds nest led to an inevitable break. That was when the guy talking to me said how disappointing it was as he was from the Anglers Mail and was looking for some action shots! I still can't decide if that event disappoints me or was a relief..

Sad times when at school in the 70s/80s theses weeklies we’re compulsive reading. I remember when the AT went from a broad sheet to the current format I felt short changed 😂 not as much content, smaller photos more advertising!
But as is the way of it all we’re all on smart phones, tablets and on forums like this these days.
I’ll still be sad to see it disappear

Back