• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling crossroads.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in my angling career. In my younger years, I suffered a few too many Rugby injuries, resulting in one or two (9) operations on my knees. With the very nature of our chosen angling discipline being on a river bank, I'm finding it more and more difficult to access the river due to the banks being very un-even. The swims mostly slope towards the river, and after a spell of rain, they can for me, become quite dangerous. Not to mention the swims with rocks in them. I can't just hop onto another leg if I start to slide, or stop myself tripping over on the undergrowth, the rocks, boulders and un-even ground. I have to let myself go, and that means into the water if it's nearest. Walking any distance is also painful, so I mostly fish swims I can park behind which cuts down my choice. Add to the fact that I don't actually catch many Barbel, none this year on the upper Trent, and only two last season, I'm thinking I might as well knock the Barbel fishing on the head and have a go at another side of fishing.

I'm not really into the Carp fishing scene, I've been a couple of times and it's been OK. The swims are comfortable for a session, it's generally clean, and you have a captive audience so to speak. I do enjoy my two or three day Barbel trips though, but invariably I'll reel in during the night for fear of stumbling in the dark if I get a take during darkness. Kind of defeats the object of being there if I'm honest. I'm being drawn towards Carp fishing simply because it offers me a safe and pain free alternative to river fishing. Paying £100 for a three day session on a day ticket lake as opposed to £80 for a season ticket on the Trent will make a dent in to how many trips I make a year, but I'm struggling to see any other way round my problem.
If you’ve made up your mind I’m sure you can find good carp fishing for much less than you have quoted. Safety is paramount alongside rivers and lakes. Good luck,
G.T.

Simon,

It's a problem which I am all too familiar with myself (although I've 'only' had 6 surgeries on mine !). My knees have seriously curtailed my fishing over the last few years, the limited choice of venues amplifies my general lack of mojo, especially considering my favourite local stream is shadow of the place it once was.......... I have a partially replaced and cruciate deficient right knee and a reconstructed, very arthritic left knee (all at the age of 51). Fortunately my legs are still pretty strong as I cycle most days, this does give me a little stability around my failing knees, but I do still struggle a on rough terrain.
The biggest problem for me is getting down banks, getting back up I can use the power in my legs from cycling, but putting my weight down through my knees on a steep bank is excruciating and dangerous, so much so that I often have to 'reverse' into pegs.
I think that until you experience knee problems like yours, you can't fully appreciate just how debilitating it is ? Banks on rivers people consider 'easier' I still struggle with and the places I'd fish alone are very limited.
I can still walk a reasonable distance and enjoy roving, so for me it's all about keeping the kit to a minimum and wandering until I find a spot which I can safely and sensibly get into (not that I fish much these days).
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Rugby ? Bloody stupid sport eh !?
That pretty much sums it up, Paul. On some of the sections of the upper Trent I fish, I could fish out of the boot of my car. But I still have to get down to the water to land fish and rest them. I packed up one evening after it had rained and became very slippery. I've only got to over balance and I'm stuffed, I can't regain my balance by steadying myself with my right leg.

Not the best picture, but I struggle getting to my rods in this peg.
IMG_3203.JPG

Last edited:
If you’ve made up your mind I’m sure you can find good carp fishing for much less than you have quoted. Safety is paramount alongside rivers and lakes. Good luck,
G.T.

I've been and looked at some shiny new Freespirits today, Graham. So there is a up side to my predicament. It's always nice buying new kit.

Morning Mate,

on the last session we had, after the brief shower the banks were slippery for me, so can appreciate your difficulties. Have suggested Newark & District Piscatorials Fed before, many of their streches have stone steps or like Winthorpe are very flat. they are also for the most part park behind the peg or at least fairly close by. Is walking a distance the problem or walking loaded down with the burden of carrying the kit. If it's the latter then can thoroughly reccommend a platform/barrow three / four wheel being a must.

Like you having played rugby for many years, my knees can give me gip, I am just hoping I don't need them operating on....

No idea what the fishing is like where you're based and this is a bit leftfield... but If you were to fish for carp in rivers would it give you a better choice of swims?

There is a stretch of the Trent close by that holds Carp and they are fished for by it's members. Some of the pegs are OK to fish from as well. Joining that club is something I have considered. 👍

As Kevin suggested look at getting a Newark Pisc ticket.

Lots of decent stretches with superbly constructed matlock stone pegs on many stretches such as East Stoke. 2m square slabs which step down. I've not seen anything like it elsewhere, quite a feat of craftsmanship.

No night fishing as well. Some good spots for day time barbel fishing.

I think I need to explain my predicament a bit better, and the analogy with going up and down stairs should go some way to explain why I'm in the situation I currently find myself.

If stairs have a hand rail, I pull myself up. I put my left foot on the first tread, move my right foot onto the second tread. I then pull myself up with my up with my hand, I put as little weight on my right knee as possible. If there isn't a rail, I have to sort of hop up. I again lead with my left foot, then my right. Then, I push off with my left leg and then aim for the third tread with my left foot, again, with very little weight on my right knee.

Coming down is the worst though. I have to almost let my right knee collapse and aim my left foot for the next tread. If I'm carrying something down the stairs in both hands, I either have to come down one tread at a time, or backward one tread at a time. I'm a Linesman for a power company, so up and down ladders is part of my job. Coming down a ladder is very difficult, as again, I almost have to let my right knee collapse and aim my left foot at the next tread. I don't climb ladders much if I can help it.

I've seen similar stone steps at Besthorpe on the tidal Trent, they are very well made, but with the above example, I'd find then very difficult to get down and then back up. I certainly couldn't carry any kit down with me, I'd have to place it down there and go down the steps facing the bank, rather than the river. The same coming back up.

Simon I'm a Leicestershire lad, Broughton Astley now, I have similar problems. Do you fish alone or is there normally someone with you?
I have good support from a couple of friends we are alone Newark members. I tend to fish from the top.of the steps and my friends net my fish.
I've been struggling for a year or two I hated giving up my Derby Railway.book but it got to much.for me.
Best bet is to drive to somewhere like Farndon go down long lane then down stream and have a look.

I've got a couple of good friends I sometimes fish with, but generally I go on my own. Simply because I may finish work early some days then just go on the spur of the moment and it's not easy for the three of us to all get together. I don't fish much after the clocks go back, so I'll have a good think about what I'm going to do next season. There is a stretch of the Trent near Ratcliffe power station I've been looking at, park by your peg and some of the swims aren't too bad to access, so may try there and drop one of my other tickets.

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I have some bad news and some good news regarding my predicament.

The bad news is that my fishing for this season, is probably now over.

The good news is that on the 28th of December I'm booked in to have a total knee replacement. Hopefully I'll be sorted and up and about, and raring to go by next June.

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I have some bad news and some good news regarding my predicament.

The good news is that on the 28th of December I'm booked in to have a total knee replacement. Hopefully I'll be sorted and up and about, and raring to go by next June.

Great news Simon. Hopefully new knee will make traversing the river banks a whole lot easier.

All the best mate. I have that to look forward too myself in a few years.

Good luck with the op Simon, I was told it would be painful and they weren't kidding, but work through it

Top tips :
1. Exercise as often as you can
2. If you have a loo downstairs use the one upstairs ie. use stairs
3. If you are thinking of a bed downstairs don't ie. use stairs
4. Buy an ice making machine to help with the swelling
5. Try to minimise the pain killers, but don't try to man up and do without.

Hopefully, like me, you'll be over it in 6 weeks - we'll not completely but manageably so.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in my angling career. In my younger years, I suffered a few too many Rugby injuries, resulting in one or two (9) operations on my knees. With the very nature of our chosen angling discipline being on a river bank, I'm finding it more and more difficult to access the river due to the banks being very un-even. The swims mostly slope towards the river, and after a spell of rain, they can for me, become quite dangerous. Not to mention the swims with rocks in them. I can't just hop onto another leg if I start to slide, or stop myself tripping over on the undergrowth, the rocks, boulders and un-even ground. I have to let myself go, and that means into the water if it's nearest. Walking any distance is also painful, so I mostly fish swims I can park behind which cuts down my choice. Add to the fact that I don't actually catch many Barbel, none this year on the upper Trent, and only two last season, I'm thinking I might as well knock the Barbel fishing on the head and have a go at another side of fishing.

I'm not really into the Carp fishing scene, I've been a couple of times and it's been OK. The swims are comfortable for a session, it's generally clean, and you have a captive audience so to speak. I do enjoy my two or three day Barbel trips though, but invariably I'll reel in during the night for fear of stumbling in the dark if I get a take during darkness. Kind of defeats the object of being there if I'm honest. I'm being drawn towards Carp fishing simply because it offers me a safe and pain free alternative to river fishing. Paying £100 for a three day session on a day ticket lake as opposed to £80 for a season ticket on the Trent will make a dent in to how many trips I make a year, but I'm struggling to see any other way round my problem.
Evening Simon.

Firstly very sorry to hear your situation that you find yourself in mate!
Ironic that health care professionals say to be active & do sports whilst young, yet don't tell you how to manage your life if you hurt yourself doing it!

How about, looking & contacting The Fellowship of Anglers Facebook group (link provided) and see if there's anyone fishing locally to you, that maybe of help?

Failing that. It's a look at the light approach style of angling where your not carrying a load of weight. Feeder/float fishing.... But I hear you saying that doesn't sort my right leg/knee power issue's 😩

Good luck mate,

Curse of the back rower shot knees. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get back on the bank asap.

Good luck with the op Simon, I was told it would be painful and they weren't kidding, but work through it

Top tips :
1. Exercise as often as you can
2. If you have a loo downstairs use the one upstairs ie. use stairs
3. If you are thinking of a bed downstairs don't ie. use stairs
4. Buy an ice making machine to help with the swelling
5. Try to minimise the pain killers, but don't try to man up and do without.

Hopefully, like me, you'll be over it in 6 weeks - we'll not completely but manageably so.

Thanks, Paul.

Good tips. Only problem with No 2-3. We live in a bungalow. LOL.

Back