• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling crossroads.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
I'm at a bit of a crossroads in my angling career. In my younger years, I suffered a few too many Rugby injuries, resulting in one or two (9) operations on my knees. With the very nature of our chosen angling discipline being on a river bank, I'm finding it more and more difficult to access the river due to the banks being very un-even. The swims mostly slope towards the river, and after a spell of rain, they can for me, become quite dangerous. Not to mention the swims with rocks in them. I can't just hop onto another leg if I start to slide, or stop myself tripping over on the undergrowth, the rocks, boulders and un-even ground. I have to let myself go, and that means into the water if it's nearest. Walking any distance is also painful, so I mostly fish swims I can park behind which cuts down my choice. Add to the fact that I don't actually catch many Barbel, none this year on the upper Trent, and only two last season, I'm thinking I might as well knock the Barbel fishing on the head and have a go at another side of fishing.

I'm not really into the Carp fishing scene, I've been a couple of times and it's been OK. The swims are comfortable for a session, it's generally clean, and you have a captive audience so to speak. I do enjoy my two or three day Barbel trips though, but invariably I'll reel in during the night for fear of stumbling in the dark if I get a take during darkness. Kind of defeats the object of being there if I'm honest. I'm being drawn towards Carp fishing simply because it offers me a safe and pain free alternative to river fishing. Paying £100 for a three day session on a day ticket lake as opposed to £80 for a season ticket on the Trent will make a dent in to how many trips I make a year, but I'm struggling to see any other way round my problem.

Hi Simon, how about joining some local clubs that might have both gravel pits and rivers on their books. Then just do some basic sessions on the easier access stillwaters fishing for whatever comes along…1 rod float fishing, 1 sleeper rod for carp/tench/pike etc. you will eventually find a new target, might be tench in summer and pike in winter on easier to access stillwaters then when feeling confident have a look at their river sections??

Crampons and a rope attatched to a dog spike i fish the upper medway and in winter its treacherous only way to get up and down banks

Stillwaters don't really grab me to be honest. Rivers are where I want to be, it's just becoming more difficult for me to fish them, especially in the dark. I've been a member of a local club that's had stillwater venues close by and I never fished them. The reason for the Carp day ticket waters is the safety factor really. The swims are better for me. I don't see my self going that often, maybe 4 or 5 times a year at most. I also like being at the waters edge for a few days, that I do enjoy. Commercial waters offer me what I need, It's just that I then have to fish a stillwater rather than a river.

Just find more suitable stretches of river.
Drive a bit further. I don’t see it as a crossroad situation at all just one where you need to fish a more suitable stretch of river for you. Simples 👍🏻
Yep, totally agree. I mostly fish the Severn and the Teme which are both, mostly, high banked spate rivers ...but if I had your problem(s) @Simon Archer I'd be fishing the (low/even banked, non-spate) Warwickshire Avon much more. There may not be a major low banked river close to wherever you live, but there's bound to be some further afield, plus smaller rivers/large streams closer by.

Stillwaters don't really grab me to be honest. Rivers are where I want to be, it's just becoming more difficult for me to fish them, especially in the dark. I've been a member of a local club that's had stillwater venues close by and I never fished them. The reason for the Carp day ticket waters is the safety factor really. The swims are better for me. I don't see my self going that often, maybe 4 or 5 times a year at most. I also like being at the waters edge for a few days, that I do enjoy. Commercial waters offer me what I need, It's just that I then have to fish a stillwater rather than a river.
What clubs are you in Simon?

I now carry a dog spike and rope in the car, not used it yet but this onset of Winter will give it an airing. I find out and out barbel fishing in low stocked rivers boring, any action is at dusk if lucky, why not fill in the time with a float rod? And leave bite time to the barbel rods. Any loose feed from the float session left over will hopefully attract Barbel.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in my angling career. In my younger years, I suffered a few too many Rugby injuries, resulting in one or two (9) operations on my knees. With the very nature of our chosen angling discipline being on a river bank, I'm finding it more and more difficult to access the river due to the banks being very un-even. The swims mostly slope towards the river, and after a spell of rain, they can for me, become quite dangerous. Not to mention the swims with rocks in them. I can't just hop onto another leg if I start to slide, or stop myself tripping over on the undergrowth, the rocks, boulders and un-even ground. I have to let myself go, and that means into the water if it's nearest. Walking any distance is also painful, so I mostly fish swims I can park behind which cuts down my choice. Add to the fact that I don't actually catch many Barbel, none this year on the upper Trent, and only two last season, I'm thinking I might as well knock the Barbel fishing on the head and have a go at another side of fishing.

I'm not really into the Carp fishing scene, I've been a couple of times and it's been OK. The swims are comfortable for a session, it's generally clean, and you have a captive audience so to speak. I do enjoy my two or three day Barbel trips though, but invariably I'll reel in during the night for fear of stumbling in the dark if I get a take during darkness. Kind of defeats the object of being there if I'm honest. I'm being drawn towards Carp fishing simply because it offers me a safe and pain free alternative to river fishing. Paying £100 for a three day session on a day ticket lake as opposed to £80 for a season ticket on the Trent will make a dent in to how many trips I make a year, but I'm struggling to see any other way round my problem.
You don't have to enjoy the modern carp fishing scene to enjoy carp fishing. Nor do you need to fish expensive day-ticket waters, in fact I would say that these are just the sort places where you are likely to experience the worst aspects of the modern carp scene.

The Trent valley is full of club waters where challenging but rewarding carp fishing can be found in nice surroundings. And as has been posted many contain some specimen roach, bream and tench.

So sorry to read of your mobility problems Simon. Sounds like you've had a rough ride with your knees. It seems that knee/hip operations either go smoothly or give grief afterwards.
I have just returned from an annual trip to the Wye with 5 mates, all of us being in our early 70's. I posted comments on here saying how dangerous some of the swims were and the trek needed to reach them, so I sympathise with your plight. Others have suggested a rope and dog spike but you still need the power in your legs and knees to help you up from the river.
Although I am still (moderately) active I am careful where I fish and looking around locally I found a small club which offered fishing on a stretch of local river with the advantage of parking near the river. The fish are not huge, a 2lb chub or 1lb perch are considered big, but I love fishing this small river as its accessible and gets me out and about, and unlike "commercials", I often have 2 miles of accessible river to myself!
Do some research on the Internet or ask in local tackle shops and I bet there's a similar set up near to you.
You may have to lower your sights "size wise" though! Good luck.

So sorry to read of your mobility problems Simon. Sounds like you've had a rough ride with your knees. It seems that knee/hip operations either go smoothly or give grief afterwards.
I have just returned from an annual trip to the Wye with 5 mates, all of us being in our early 70's. I posted comments on here saying how dangerous some of the swims were and the trek needed to reach them, so I sympathise with your plight. Others have suggested a rope and dog spike but you still need the power in your legs and knees to help you up from the river.
Although I am still (moderately) active I am careful where I fish and looking around locally I found a small club which offered fishing on a stretch of local river with the advantage of parking near the river. The fish are not huge, a 2lb chub or 1lb perch are considered big, but I love fishing this small river as its accessible and gets me out and about, and unlike "commercials", I often have 2 miles of accessible river to myself!
Do some research on the Internet or ask in local tackle shops and I bet there's a similar set up near to you.
You may have to lower your sights "size wise" though! Good luck.

This is the issue. I have no power in my right knee/leg. I have to push off with left leg every time. If I’m on my left leg and I slip, I don’t have the power or mobility in my right leg to arrest my fall and I have to let myself go. Even on a small slope or step. Or even a bramble,

It’s not so bad in daylight when you can see the difference in ground levels, but at night, when you get a take or move about, and you can’t see the ground conditions, it becomes an issue.

Yep, totally agree. I mostly fish the Severn and the Teme which are both, mostly, high banked spate rivers ...but if I had your problem(s) @Simon Archer I'd be fishing the (low/even banked, non-spate) Warwickshire Avon much more. There may not be a major low banked river close to wherever you live, but there's bound to be some further afield, plus smaller rivers/large streams closer by.
👍🏻

This is the issue. I have no power in my right knee/leg. I have to push off with left leg every time. If I’m on my left leg and I slip, I don’t have the power or mobility in my right leg to arrest my fall and I have to let myself go. Even on a small slope or step. Or even a bramble,

It’s not so bad in daylight when you can see the difference in ground levels, but at night, when you get a take or move about, and you can’t see the ground conditions, it becomes an issue.
Simon,

It's a problem which I am all too familiar with myself (although I've 'only' had 6 surgeries on mine !). My knees have seriously curtailed my fishing over the last few years, the limited choice of venues amplifies my general lack of mojo, especially considering my favourite local stream is shadow of the place it once was.......... I have a partially replaced and cruciate deficient right knee and a reconstructed, very arthritic left knee (all at the age of 51). Fortunately my legs are still pretty strong as I cycle most days, this does give me a little stability around my failing knees, but I do still struggle a on rough terrain.
The biggest problem for me is getting down banks, getting back up I can use the power in my legs from cycling, but putting my weight down through my knees on a steep bank is excruciating and dangerous, so much so that I often have to 'reverse' into pegs.
I think that until you experience knee problems like yours, you can't fully appreciate just how debilitating it is ? Banks on rivers people consider 'easier' I still struggle with and the places I'd fish alone are very limited.
I can still walk a reasonable distance and enjoy roving, so for me it's all about keeping the kit to a minimum and wandering until I find a spot which I can safely and sensibly get into (not that I fish much these days).
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Rugby ? Bloody stupid sport eh !?

Sorry you’re having problems. I’m facing something similar, it takes a bit of adjustment mentally and a bit more effort than usual to find something that suits but it’s got to be better than putting yourself in danger.

I did more tenching this year when I was able to get out, it wasn’t the same but I still enjoyed it and it kept me sane!

What people don’t always get is just how physically and mentally draining it can be living with such a problem ! When it takes all your concentration and effort to even walk on a cobbled street without doing yourself a mischief, it becomes hard work.
If I have to walk down steep hills I actually have to zig zag to take the pressure off my knees.
I’m not being woe is me here, I’ve learned to cope with it over the years, but the older I get and the more wear and tear takes it’s toll, the harder it gets. By the end of a day on my feet at work, I’m in discomfort.
It does affect my willingness to go fishing or generally enjoying the countryside, because it’s bloody hard work and I can ill afford time off work because of a fishing mishap.

Back