• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Andy Whitham Feeders

Steve Brand

HI just recieved my order from Andy have to say they are well made super fast delivery, not had chance to use them yet but I do have one slight concern.
I must say that when i looked at the feeders on Andys site I thought the link on the feeder was a little long, why would that be a problem you might ask, well and this is only my thoughts feel free to correct me but when the feeder is lying on the bottom in a fast flow will the inevitable bow in the line lift the link in the feeder in an upwards direction?
Thus providing somthing else for the wary barbel to spook from,now i am aware that many people advocate a longish hooklink when using a swimfeeder as the bow in the line as i understand it would be pushed towards the feeder by the flow.
Has anyone used these feeders in there standard form and been happy{caught a few fish using them], i might be inclined to modify mine somewhat to include a much shorter and possibly a stiffer[ unhinged link].
Maybe I am being overly fussy here.
With reference to feeders has anyone had any success using inline feeders this would of course cure the potencial link issue.
Also when using long hook links say 4 ft to 6ft are there issues whith tangels on the cast?
Finaly when using a lead rather than a feeder are inline leads better than the normal swivel type leads.
As i said i am happy with the quality of Andys feeders and the excelent service but subject to any potencial feedback i may consider the modification mentioned and think about making up some home made inline jobs to try as well, plastic pipeing and the anchor universal " dead cows" might be the way to go although Archie Braddock mentioned in his book the use of tubing from vacum cleaners any thoughts on homemade feeders welcomed {sorry Andy they wont be up to your quality] but at £2 plus a throw yours might be for Sunday best snag free swims lol.

Regards Steve Brand

I've been using Andys feeders for a few weeks and wouldn't use any thing else now. I found them to be bombproof with a good range of sizes. I've been using them on the swale with with good effect catching several barbel to 12lb 8oz and have yet to retrieve a tangled rig using them. If you want some with a shorter link I'm sure he would make them to your spec.

He's a top bloke too.

Last edited:
Steve
I totally agree with Craig's comments, I've been using them on the Wye and Severn for a couple of months or so, and won't be using anything else in the future. They are the business!

Cheers
Mark

Never seen or used them.

I just find it strange that you are happy to throw out a dirty great feeder, and worry about the link spooking barbel.

Regarding Steve's comment on inline cage feeders. I have recently started to make my own inline cage feeders and so far I have been very pleased with the results I have found that they seem to remain in situ far better than those on a link and also they do not tangle up (not 100% tangle free I would say but certainly 95%) also they can either run freely or easily set in semi boltrun mode. Regarding the length of tubing on the feeders you have just purchased I use some tubing on the head of my feeders in flood conditions because I have found it deflects soft weeds from clogging round the feeder I also in these conditions use a 2 to 3ft hooklink. Regarding do you catch more fish I would not know but personally my catch rate is up but that could have been low to start with! who knows?

Mark

Andy works it out based upon the weight using the Royal Mail site. To give you an idea, I paid £5.00p&p for my last order of 10 feeders totalling 960gms

Cheers
Mark

Feeders....

Hello Steve
I've not used Andy's feeders but would certainly be interested in giving them a go. I dont seem to be able to find his details online - can you pls point me in his direction. I fish the tidal Thames and dont think the fish will get spooked too easily if there is a bit of flow and colour to the water.
Regards
Seb
:D

Thx Craig... Hadn seen your posting
Cheers
Seb

The feeder looks great,v/well finished.
Fishing a snaggy area of the Wye I expect to loose a feeder every other cast ,so I choose to make my own for the cost of a strip of lead.
So simple to do and they have caught me a fair few fish.
In short
Cut a discarded plastic milk bottle (translucent type)into 2" or 3" strips,
Use paper punch to make holes,
Roll to desired dia
Use 3 Staples from standard paper stapler to secure cylindrical form
Cut strip of lead and fold around top to bottom of rolled plastic.
Wider lead or two strips adds weight
Use mono or power gum tied in a loop,trap under one end of folded lead

Can make them quicker than it took me to post this.
Really simple.

Wire mesh ones can be made using similar tecniques.
Good fun/satisfaction catching on homemade stuff

They will never look as good as the Andy feeder though!!

Back