• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

And the moral of the story is....check your line

Paul Dowgill

Having spent the last few seasons focusing on one water chasing the elusive double (there may only be one in the whole stretch), finally today in conditions that were 'not right', bright sunshine and clear water, I hooked a barbel that was not the norm... Successfully getting it away from the snags and into the deeper water in front of me, it bored deep upstream towards more bushes, knowing if reached them i would lose it i just applied constant pressure and almost as if in slow motion the line just parted.

On checking the 12lb bs line i could see the end of it was flattened so it had come apart somewhere above the swivel. As well as being concerned there would be a size 6 and 12"" of braid hanging from the barbel's mouth, it was all my own fault. I leave rod made up at the end of each session and although always checking the hook length i did not think to look at the line....dumb or what. So no more the lazy option for me, each session now will have new hook length and a careful check of the mono...horse/stable door.

I have had a relatively good season given how hard the water is (just one double has been caught this season or so i believe) but that was just ****!!

Try again tomorrow but somehow i think that is it for this season.

I feel for you Paul but I think every angler has experienced loosing a big fish due to tackle or hook pulls whatever it may be. We all learn by our mistakes & that's how we become better anglers! Good luck for the end of the season mate.

Having spent the last few seasons focusing on one water chasing the elusive double (there may only be one in the whole stretch), finally today in conditions that were 'not right', bright sunshine and clear water, I hooked a barbel that was not the norm... Successfully getting it away from the snags and into the deeper water in front of me, it bored deep upstream towards more bushes, knowing if reached them i would lose it i just applied constant pressure and almost as if in slow motion the line just parted.

On checking the 12lb bs line i could see the end of it was flattened so it had come apart somewhere above the swivel. As well as being concerned there would be a size 6 and 12"" of braid hanging from the barbel's mouth, it was all my own fault. I leave rod made up at the end of each session and although always checking the hook length i did not think to look at the line....dumb or what. So no more the lazy option for me, each session now will have new hook length and a careful check of the mono...horse/stable door.

I have had a relatively good season given how hard the water is (just one double has been caught this season or so i believe) but that was just ****!!

Try again tomorrow but somehow i think that is it for this season
I suffered a similar loss years ago and have since carried out this test just before each session. Tie a loop of string to your tackle bag/tree branch/ fencepost, to take the hook, set the clutch to give line, then walk off the full distance you intend to cast+ a few yards. Reset the clutch to slip at near full load, then 'fight' an imaginary specimen back to the start, using side-load etc.
You may think it's a bit over the top, (I do get some funny looks from other anglers), but I've never lost another big fish to a break.:)
BB

Paul . Thanks for being honest enough to tell us of your unfortunate loss , it could have happened to any of us , but I suppose that is little consolation . You hint that perhaps leaving the rod / rig assembled between sessions might have been when the damage occured , a distinct possibility . Every time I go fishing I set up from scratch at the bankside . The plus side of the affair is that you had the skill and patience to trick the biggy in to taking your bait , so you got that bit , the hardest bit , right !..

Yes an honest post, I too worry when rods are assembled in quivers, I think we are all guilty of not checking for 'nicks' often enough.

Sound advice Bill/Mike..checked everything today/tackled up from scratch - took 5 yds off the reel...and no breaks...ahhh, that was because there were no bites :)

Earlier in the season I took my drop shotting rod (which I leave set up in the back of the van "just in case") down to a local stretch of the Kennet. First cast in the margin - the biggest perch I have ever seen - at least 3lb instantly came out of the depths and took my rubber lure. The rod bent over and then snap - that was it - the fish of a lifetime was gone. A lesson learnt for me that day too. I had used the same rig a couple of times before and was complacent.

I think the fact that I clearly saw the fish and knew that I may never have a stripey that big again made it worse.

Back