• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Allcocks Aerial C815

Jeff Howe

Hi All

Anybody on here that could give me the lowdown on this reel, in particular the difference between the 3.75 inch and 4.5 inch
I gather the larger diameter reel was more suited to float fishing and sea angling!
My intended use is for ledgering for Barbel, so I guess the 3.75 inch will be ok

Many thanks

Jeff

Jeff , the issue , if you can call it that , with these reels is that they need a lot of backing line or an arbor to make them useable for float fishing . However I guess if you are ledgering and therefore not retrieving line all the time it would be less of an issue

The 3.75 will be fine for ledgering for barbel, these pins are very strong & built to last with strong checks but as others have already pointed out the line lays are set far in on the drum so a arbor will help. I believe Dave plowman makes arbors for this reel.

A while back someone posted a link for the code to 3-D print a spool spacer for Speedias, my stepson did one for me which I've just fitted and it makes a huge difference. I wonder if a similar thing exists for the Allcock, or if not, perhaps the original poster could provide one? Unfortunately I can't find the original post!

A while back someone posted a link for the code to 3-D print a spool spacer for Speedias, my stepson did one for me which I've just fitted and it makes a huge difference. I wonder if a similar thing exists for the Allcock, or if not, perhaps the original poster could provide one? Unfortunately I can't find the original post!

Never seen a 3d print pattern for c815 (have looked). Thought about modelling one but found backing with strips of self adhesive craft cork works fine. I just cuts 7/8" wide strips. Put the first two back to back sellotape around the line lays and then continue to build up with single 7/8" strips around the spool. Works fine. I use this stuff https://www.therange.co.uk/arts-and...letters/xcut-xtra-adhesive-cork-sheets#120486

finished result visible here if you zoom!
44930157_10156787981426228_5867687859124699136_n.jpg

Just tracked down the original thread, it was on Traditional Fishermans Forum in 2014!
On there they made the point that cork deforms under pressure, the 3-D printed arbor doesn't, plus you get a completely smooth circular spool profile.

Just tracked down the original thread, it was on Traditional Fishermans Forum in 2014!
On there they made the point that cork deforms under pressure, the 3-D printed arbor doesn't, plus you get a completely smooth circular spool profile.
I have 3d printed arbours for my speedias Steve, really doesn't make any difference (and looks less plastic!)

Back