• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

All you need to know about Crayfish

Paul....I know more than enough about crayfish!

I'm fed up with catching them, soon got fed up with eating them, I'm fed up with them collapsing the banks on my local river, I'm fed up with them eating all the eggs from spawning fish, I'm fed up with them eating all the invertribates the fish would like to feed on and I'm fed up with the fact that at the moment there is **** all we can do about them.....along with all the things they are doing to destroy any sort of balance we would like...

one of those things like many we can't sort out...dream on for a signal free day

Cheers
Jason

The programme is about native White-clawed crayfish, not the ones a few greedy b'stards looking to create an "industry" imported then allowed to escape (or dumped when their "industry" ate it).

cor! Paul, i remember when lifting a tree root would usually produce enought white claws for a days fishing on the kennet, i hate them there lobsters

I know a place in the Midlands where the bottom is absolutly crawling with white claws, - not a river - i used to dive there regularly, also Roach the size of you wouldn't believe. Most divers in this country would know it. There was no fishing allowed, and i guess the risk of the spread of the crayfish disease was minimal, apart from bird life. So hopefully they are still there and doing well, one of their last bastions i would imagine.

Ian.

Crayfish

Listened to it yesterday without seeing this post & before I went to the river yesterday - great article will have a look at the other one on Heron's now Paul.

Guess what I caught a signal the size of my foot but it let go before I compare it :D and avoid the obvious fishermans tales ;)

It's near midnight and I'm fishing a local park lake, just me here. I hear the gate go 100 yards away and a torch come on scanning the bank. Then the torch seems to enter the water. Quite odd I think. Then I hear some splashing which is defnitely odd! So I switch on my headtorch and start walking along the bank.

His torch then goes off which means someones up to no good and I'm thinking oh ******** whats going on here then. I'm thinking someones checking fixed lines or maybe wading out to top themselves Reggie Perin style up the Heath (there's at least one a year).

Turns out it was a bloke in waders with 3 shopping bags full of crayfish he'd been collecting in the margins...he likes cooking them. He gets asked a lot if he's about to end it all appaently as he leaves his trainers on the bank.

Back