• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

All Time Favourite Piece Of Barbel Tackle ???

A £8 camo 30l rucksack i bought from China via Ebay. Well made from thick hard wearing material with lots of pockets and straps. 5 years of stalking and all zips work perfect and not a fray anywhere. Tried other big make one's but my cheapy beats them all.

My Daiwa Spectron 13/15' trotting rod. Amazing rod even worth the huge price they command.

Love the sound of the Jack Hilton landing net and pole.

My Daiwa Spectron 13/15' trotting rod. Amazing rod even worth the huge price they command.

Love the sound of the Jack Hilton landing net and pole.

Is this a 13ft rod with a 2ft extension Richard? What species do you generally use this for and what's it like at the long range strike!?

I don't use bite alarms, i love touch ledgering, so it's has to be my FINGER co's you cant beat feeling of the take on your finger !!!
Dave

Always leave home without it these days unfortunately, but my choice would be the mighty Mainline Maple 8 baits - awesome on the BA/Kennet/Wey in summer or winter, and no doubt it did the business all over the shop. Tackle wise, Drennan Specimen plus hooks, all sizes.

My pair of Insight 12' 1.75/2lb TC Barbel RB Multi-Spec rods, superb bits of Kit & Insight 12' 2.25 TC Barbel RB-SU, will out last me I reckon....
Steve Harrison certainly builds some brilliant blanks....

Trakker Armo weigh sling. Apart from its designed use it is very handy for retaining fish whilst setting up a camera. As well as that, it's great for resting fish in before returning them to the river.

Howard, yes it is.

Everything I could want in a trotting rod. Six pound main line seems about right with hook links around 4lb-6lb. However it's rated for 2lb-8lb and I think it would manage that fine too.

As I'm not trotting much more than 20-30 yards I've not tested it say on a lake for tench or bream at distance. But it's a Daiwa and they seem to be able to do anything apart from turn water into wine?:D

Richard.

Where do you start...The sharp end. Teflon Rapier hooks
10p each super strong super sharp. Kamasan animal eyed Barbed hooks size 14s. The ultimate float hook. Sister match team line, the best float line I have ever used, just won't break. Rods I dropped on a Daiwa tournament long distance 15ft float rod does everything I want for Trent Barbel. I could go on...

That's a tough one, but it got me thinking about the item of tackle that I'd miss the most and there was only one answer - plastic bait droppers made by Dinsmores. Yes they are not as good as the old Thamesley's, and yes the doors do come off a bit to frequently (easily rectified by tying it with a strong braid) but the baitdropper is integral to the way I fish for barbel. I rarely, if ever, go barbel fishing without a bait dropper (I don't tend to fish for barbel in winter) and the Dinsmore's are head and shoulders above anything else out there.

ps - if anyone has any of the old Thamesley's they want to part with then please send me a PM - a long shot I know :)

Leeda predator net and Trevor west handle,both about 20 years old.So many threads about 'what landing net'and no quality anymore,mine never breaks and will never need to be replaced, even when i tread on it.

Certainly not essential pieces but would miss my 10 year old chub hi-lite chair and Leslie's of Luton "insight" landing net. Both probably because know the replacements would be inferior...

My whitlock spoon and JRC relaxa recliner two things I've yet to sell

Back