• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the β€˜Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

All excited about the 16th?

Really excited here. More than ever for me, it's just about getting out on the banks amidst the incredible wildlife of Yorkshire, just sitting in a jungle of birdlife, insects and small mammals somewhere watching the river go by, and I have no expectations of catching much ... I didn't bag a barbel last season until the seventh week of the season but then had a simply brilliant August (and January)! The season before that I caught half my season's barbel total in the last fortnight of June, so you just never know and I am making no assumptions ...

Two weeks hols between jobs started yesterday, timed for the start of the season after ten weeks of really hard graft. Been watching the levels just get to perfection at the right time on our Yorkshire rivers, where just 2 weeks ago the rivers looked terrible, it really looked like levels & dissolved oxygen could be worse than 2018, so very happy now that that it's not going to be anything like that (and about the nice damp forecast for next week too).

But TBH I've not had time to even hear a national forecast (and working so hard that I've hardly seen the telly for weeks) ... I take it from your comments Rhys that the rain we've had here has not been the same across the nation, then?

Last edited:
I love the build up to the 16th... This season that feeling is cranked up to 11, with lockdown and a crappy booking system mostly preventing my closed season tench fix... The gear has been ready for about a month and I’m like a kid at Christmas! I’ll be casting out at midnight this year (allowed), so only two sleeps!

Opening day rarely lives up to the hype and expectations in terms of catches, but surpasses in terms of that feeling of awe, wonder and being next to water in its most beautiful form.

I have really got the buzz back this year. Have only fished for predators for the last 3 years.

I will be targetting the carp on the tidal Trent for the first few weeks, then moving over to the barbel dependant on sucess.

I have been baiting every single day for the last 3 weeks, so anticipation is at boiling point!

I would not say I am excited about the glorious 16th, as for the past few years the venues I have visited have been rammed with anglers camping out from the 14/15th to ensure they get their favoured swims. I prefer to let the dust settle and turn up very early one morning, or maybe one evening, after the initial scramble for bank space has diminished .This year with the easing of lockdown and the increasing number of EA licences issued may well mean that it could be even busier than usual.

I used to love the turning up for midnight on the 15th, the anticipation of that first 3 ft twitch , etc etc, but crowded banks etc has tended to put that to the back of my mind,well, that and maybe a few more years under my belt has tempered my need to be there for the opening day. I wonder how many of these " new" anglers will stick to commercials, and how many will attempt some moving water ?

David

got to be honest Graham, Im not. Just feels like everything is going through the motions since lockdown, Im out and about but can't get enthused about my golf or lake fishing, hoping a return to the river bank will liven me up !!
I am the same Cliff, normally I'm eager to get to the river on opening day but this year the thought of possible interaction with other people is filling me with trepidation.

With illness and floods coinciding last Autumn and Winter this will be a log awaited return to the rivers. But under no illusions as far as expectations are concerned, too many false dawns too look back on. But it will be great to just get back and at least in the hope I can land a long overdue Barbel.

I have really got the buzz back this year. Have only fished for predators for the last 3 years.

I will be targetting the carp on the tidal Trent for the first few weeks, then moving over to the barbel dependant on sucess.

I have been baiting every single day for the last 3 weeks, so anticipation is at boiling point!
Good plan, like the idea of River Carp, they are different gravy to the norm.

Getting a new ticket for the lower WA, which should freshen things up, my old haunts have proved a bit too popular recently.

Will be float fishing for tench on the 16th and giving it a week before trying for a barbel, used to be the 1st of june a few years ago where I come from and rarely lived up to the hype , its great to be allowed to fish again though!

Was booked for a week in Hoarwithy not fished a river for 4 years. New 14’ float rod (never caught a barbel on the float). Unfortunately due to the current circumstances staying away isn’t permitted. Absolutely gutted is an understatement.
Good luck to all.

I am really excited, don't know why because I usually blank on the 16th ( come to think of it, I blank on lots of days).
But I think it is just great to sit by a quiet bit of river and chill out.
I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all the help, support and encouragement you provide. Even in the close season there is always something of interest to read or watch. This year has been particularly difficult for we 70+ members, but the lockdown watching videos have been great and the shimano service advice was fantastic. My thanks go to you all.
Have a good year and stay safe.
Mike

Would love to however I'm 40 miles from my usual Taff n 52 from the wye and still in 5 miles only lock down over here in Wales. So will miss it this year

Back