• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Aldi Fishing Gear

Re. the neoprene wellies ... mine have done over 100 sessions on the bank, that's over 100 miles (lately with crampons on) and they're still going strong. Maybe I just got a good pair ...dunno.. but I'd have thought that if there was an ongoing fault with this product, Aldi/Crane would have sorted it by now, or stopped selling them. Plus there's the guarantee. Hope my confidence doesn't put a curse on my wellies now :eek:

I'll give my two penneth on neoprene wellies... I bought some Grubs 'Frostline' ones late last year at a cost of around £65. I thought these would be the answer to me hating walking anywhere in traditionally styled wellies (I always suffer from socks slipping in them). Having worn the Grubs a few times now I can safely say: They are by far the comfiest welly boots I have ever worn and are very, very comfortable, BUT!! They DO NOT keep my feet warm. I have fished a few times with air temp between +5 and -3 and my feet have been numb. I have tried wearing with normal socks only, 'technical' socks only, normal and technical socks together, normal socks + 2 x pairs of technical socks. My feet were still cold 😂 Last time out it was about 4 degrees air temp and I tried a pair of heat holder socks with them, this seemed the best combination.

Anyhow, in summary, I have not found neoprene wellies to be warm. But they are very comfy :D

I'll give my two penneth on neoprene wellies... I bought some Grubs 'Frostline' ones late last year at a cost of around £65. I thought these would be the answer to me hating walking anywhere in traditionally styled wellies (I always suffer from socks slipping in them). Having worn the Grubs a few times now I can safely say: They are by far the comfiest welly boots I have ever worn and are very, very comfortable, BUT!! They DO NOT keep my feet warm. I have fished a few times with air temp between +5 and -3 and my feet have been numb. I have tried wearing with normal socks only, 'technical' socks only, normal and technical socks together, normal socks + 2 x pairs of technical socks. My feet were still cold 😂 Last time out it was about 4 degrees air temp and I tried a pair of heat holder socks with them, this seemed the best combination.

Anyhow, in summary, I have not found neoprene wellies to be warm. But they are very comfy :D
I need to wear heat holder thermal socks with my winchwood neoprenes too or my feet also suffer the cold.
When I do then they keep my feet warm enough in negative temps.
I think this is a good thing personally because I can quite comfortably use them all year round by simply adding or removing the thermal socks.

I don’t suffer from cold feet but when I’m fishing in cold temperatures I wear a thin pair of merino wool socks and some thermal socks and I’m normally ok. For longer sessions in colder temperatures I wear goretex-lines leather walking boots with wool socks but still get gold feet

Well, went to Aldi, as I fancied one of the Jackets to match the salopettes ( I have a couple of pairs of the salopettes already , and am very pleased with them) Very disappointed to find that what they call XL is what I would call medium.... I am 6 ft, 14 st 8 , not particulary "big" in the scheme of things but the jacket was nowhere near a fit , arms too short, tight across the shoulders and chest, and a bit short in the body . I have no idea how they size their garments, as the XL Salopettes I already have are a good fit.

So its back to the drawing board I need a winter jacket to go with the "sloppits" and had been waiting for the Aldi ones to be in stock, there will be one out there somewhere that fits I am sure .

David

Well, went to Aldi, as I fancied one of the Jackets to match the salopettes ( I have a couple of pairs of the salopettes already , and am very pleased with them) Very disappointed to find that what they call XL is what I would call medium.... I am 6 ft, 14 st 8 , not particulary "big" in the scheme of things but the jacket was nowhere near a fit , arms too short, tight across the shoulders and chest, and a bit short in the body . I have no idea how they size their garments, as the XL Salopettes I already have are a good fit.

So its back to the drawing board I need a winter jacket to go with the "sloppits" and had been waiting for the Aldi ones to be in stock, there will be one out there somewhere that fits I am sure .

David
The sizing of clothes is ridiculous. I have several jackets, ranging from medium to XL and they all fit.

Been down to Aldi today and had a look and came away with the Green Fishing Holdall / bag which for £12.99 is a no brainer perfect for roving around, light and loads of space.
Now the Green Neoprene Boots,tried a pair on to my surprise they were immediately very comfortable but very heavy compared to my current Hunter Wellies that leak now but for £19.99 i decided to give them a go.

I bought a suit and jacket about two years ago.......still using them, 10 out of 10 for value for money.
Had some wellies in 2015 again value for money as they only split last year after around 100 sessions or more. The new ones are a different design and not as easy to get in and out off so they have been given a miss.
I also have the snoods and gloves............again absolute value for money.
If you can wait a week or two the items can appear at reduced prices again a bargain however they may have only limited sizes left!!
Finally look out for the waterproof socks when they turn up, now they are another bargain at less than half price of the known brands.......

in the past 2 years their Neoprene gloves have got bigger thankfully !!!

as 4 years ago I tried on a pair of the L/XL and they were way to small then last year I tried on a pair and bingo they are perfect and do the job just fine at a bargain price strangely ?? they do an XXL hoody BUT ?? only up to XL in the joggers ? GGggrrr

Value for money? I bought my Sundridge two piece suit for the Feb 2002 BFW Loddon fish-in.

Still wear the bib & brace, never wear a coat when fishing so the jacket is as new.

But I digress (from the thread). If Aldi gear lasts a quarter of the time mine has lasted I guess you'll all be happy :)

Value for money?

Seems to be. Nicely made, feels warm and comfy. I mean it's not the cheapest thing ever at £50 when, for example, Daiwa/Sundridge branded gear can be had for £70, but I don't see any reason why this Aldi gear won't last. Maybe just have liked some padding on the knees as well as the bum, but plenty seem to have and rate these and it hasn't been a problem for them.

Fingers crossed... :)

Today is the day. Aldi Opens 10am. All clothing sizes up to XL Except the Hoody up to XXL.
I bought a hoody a couple of years ago size xxl and wear it a lot, so I went down and bought two more on Sunday. Tried one on today and I could barely get my head through the neck and the body fit is very tight, seems to be at least a size smaller than my old one.

clothing sizes seems to have shrunk ? they must have changed where they are being made and now based on little XXL china men with little heads and bodies ? possibly lol

Well have to say I thought my suit measured up OK. If I was buying as a 'usual' size for me, it would be medium. But as something I'll wear over other clothes I plumped for large, and i'd say they are spot on for that :)

Back