• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Aldi Fishing Gear

How warm are the wellies?
Not as warm when they leak or when the soles go.

me & Mrs both got green pairs this exact time last year. (after seeing a thread on here in fact). Warm and comfy ... but both soon leaked.

left it too long before taking them back, cos don't really pass near the shop regularly, so they only offered exchange not full refund, so we took exchange instead of their weird offer of half the cash - £10 -back). They only had black ones by that time.

Only one pair of the replacements leaked (my Mrs' pair) , but the heel soon went on one of mine. I use 'em for dog walking now but it's a right old wobbly, squelchy walk. I should bin 'em.

Last edited:
Need to get the current Mrs W a set of salopettes as she did nothing but moan at me when on the Wye in very wet cool weather back in October. Tempted to get myself another set for "stock" but already have a spare set
Thanks for the heads up Mark 👍

I found the wellies to be far too tight on width for my feet even after getting a size bigger than my normal shoe size. It was a two man operation to get them off.

I’d say You get what you pay for.
river bank roaming with a good few kg on your back would start getting into medium/heavy duty use to which they probably weren’t designed for at £20 a pop.

me & Mrs both got green pairs this exact time last year. (after seeing a thread on here in fact). Warm and comfy ... but both soon leaked.

left it too long before taking them back, cos don't really pass near the shop regularly, so they only offered exchange not full refund, so we took exchange instead of their weird offer of half the cash - £10 -back). They only had black ones by that time.

Only one pair of the replacements leaked (my Mrs' pair) , but the heel soon went on one of mine. I use 'em for dog walking now but it's a right old wobbly, squelchy walk. I should bin 'em.
Graham, if the soles or heels have seperated, use Gorilla Glue, the stuff that comes in a squeeze bottle. My Muck boots came apart and this fixed them a treat.

Can anyone with the salopettes give me a pointer on sizing please? I am 6 foot with 32ish inside leg. Do I want Large or XL?
Many thanks in advance.

Can anyone with the salopettes give me a pointer on sizing please? I am 6 foot with 32ish inside leg. Do I want Large or XL?
Many thanks in advance.
I use 'LARGE' and, as you, am 6ft/32" inside leg. You'd be ok with large unless your waist measurement was over ~37"

Why don't you go in and try them on? That's what I did.
I liked the salopettes so much that I bought a coat and lightweight fleece as well. They are still going strong 12 months later. Still waterproof. Some of the best and cheapest clothing I've ever had!

Hi Simon, this post from last year.

I bet the ones that are left are only sized for dwarfs or giants, thats what usually happens, all the "normal' sizes get sold, and the left overs are reduced..

I am an XXL , so might pop down and get another pair,if any left, the ones I have are great, they are warm, have a reinforced backside an back of legs panel,for bank sitting,they seem waterproof and most suprising of all, fit me. I have worn them recently in sub zero temps and had no probs.

Compared to some "branded" fishing salopettes they seem better all around, and a quarter or less of the price.

Dave

I am 6ft, 14 st -8lbs, 32 ins inside leg with a whispy 38 ins waist ( I blame the pies ) The XXl above fits perfectly, I can wear a T shirt, sweater , and Army fleece under the salopettes , and stay toasty warm all day.

Dave

Graham, if the soles or heels have seperated, use Gorilla Glue, the stuff that comes in a squeeze bottle. My Muck boots came apart and this fixed them a treat.
That stuff sticks everything I can’t weld. I’d be lost without a stash of gorilla glue 😂

Many thanks in advance.
The large are big enough to go over lots of under layers, the Xl would of been too big for me (i'm the same size as you)
For the price they are a good bit of kit.

👍
Many thanks in advance.
Simon,
I’m a similar stamp to you BUT 38” waist....XL for me....try them on in store, you get some looks but who cares, alternatively if you are the shy type take them home to try, my local Aldi refunded me when I didn’t like the fit of a fishing jacket bought me.

I’m 6’4 and 36 waist and originally got XL but found it too baggy so changed to L which is perfect. I was so impressed by the quality of them, last year had to buy another 2 for ‘stock’ !😳

Exactly the same happened with mine and they were got for dog walking and didn’t get to see the bank. Disappointing to be honest.
The chair however has been excellent And perfect for the river being lightweight and adjustable

Exactly the same happened with mine and they were got for dog walking and didn’t get to see the bank. Disappointing to be honest.
The chair however has been excellent And perfect for the river being lightweight and adjustable
Ditto again as above .Wellies came apart at the sole after dog walking .
Chair absolute bargain same pattern as many others at at least twice the price.

Thanks everyone! I will try a large to replace my 10yr old Wychwood pair with failing zips and velcro. Happy shopping.

Back