• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice on new rods

Rods arrived today , they are absolutely beautiful, the build quality is amazing, the finish is amazing, I’ll hopefully catch some fish with them 😂
He does a really nice job , certainly on par with any of the others I’ve had built and better than some
Enjoy on the bank👍

Not to hijack the thread but anyone used or use a torrix 11ft 1.5lb and can comment on it ? I ask as I have a pair of 11ft chimera Avons and they bend for England but where I’m fishing I need slightly more power for the run away tench I’m the undercuts. Because of the crucians I don’t want to over gun but I’m in the middle lane of hard fighting clutch striping tench and delicate crucians you just don’t know what’s going to turn up. The chimera is controlled but like driving a small car at its max speed feels a bit on its limit at times.

Not to hijack the thread but anyone used or use a torrix 11ft 1.5lb and can comment on it ? I ask as I have a pair of 11ft chimera Avons and they bend for England but where I’m fishing I need slightly more power for the run away tench I’m the undercuts. Because of the crucians I don’t want to over gun but I’m in the middle lane of hard fighting clutch striping tench and delicate crucians you just don’t know what’s going to turn up. The chimera is controlled but like driving a small car at its max speed feels a bit on its limit at times.
Daniel I use the 11' 1.5 Torrix with a quiver section, has bags of power and lot's in reserve similar to the 1.75 11'.

I love it, used it regularly last few seasons and has taken barbel to 13 plus without feeling undergunned.

You need one in your collection! ;)

The 1lb 6oz Avon is what you need Daniel. That thing bends beautifully and will be lovely to play crucians on but it’s very capable of dealing with double figured fish.

I had mine spliced with a long 2oz carbon tip

If you can get one - the 1.25 Torrix with a carrier section and/ or spliced tip is perfect.
Like chalk & cheese compared to a 1.25 Chimera.
You can use Drennan tips from 1oz upto 4 oz , so you can use from Crucians to double figure barbel.
For me it's the ultimate big chub rod, but I have had a lot of decent barbel on it too.
Mark Tunley did mine and they aren't cheap if you get a spliced tip and carrier section but you have a hugely versatile rod for river fishing.

The 1lb 6oz Avon is what you need Daniel. That thing bends beautifully and will be lovely to play crucians on but it’s very capable of dealing with double figured fish.

I had mine spliced with a long 2oz carbon tip
Agree with this.

The 1lb 6oz Avon would be my choice for an 11ft rod for tench at short range. Enough cushioning in the butt section for lighter hooklengths.

Back