• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice on fishing the Wye.

Mike Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi everyone,
I have booked a week in July in a cottage at Brobury Gardens. They have a section of the Wye at bredwardine bridge a few miles down stream of Hay.
I have only fished the Wye south of Hereford for a couple of days last year, so my knowledge is almost zero. Most of my barbel fishing is on the Yorkshire Derwent which is considerably smaller than the Wye.
Any advice as to tactics and bait would be greatly appreciated.
Thought I would ask now while most of us are at home waiting for warmer weather.
Many thanks
Mike

Hi Neil
Does Halibut still work in this temperature? I thought it was supposed to be a summer bait.

I had a walk around the gardens early in the season and access to the water looked like it could be difficult. The banks on the opposite side of the river looked fairly easy to access and so was used by more than the odd few canoeists to launch into the river.

Lovely gardens though and the cottages looked very nice and there are plenty of fish through that whole area, so enjoy.

Thanks Roger,
Pete advised me of similar and suggested I take a dog spike and rope. As far as canoes are concerned I hope to fish early and late to avoid the worst.
I will report on my return.
Mike

Back