• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice on braid - float fishing chub

Paul Richardson

Senior Member & Supporter
Hello - some advice please
Looking to use some floating braid with a 16' float rod for long trotting for chub.
The bit I'm unsure on is the transition to the mono hooklength.
My floats are on winders and normally when using mono on the reel it's a simple loop-to-loop attachment.
So why don't I stick with mono - well all the spools with mono on are too light for where I'm fishing ( 3lb) , it needs replacing as it's from start of the season and I'm really struggling for time to get to the tackle shop , change lines over etc. It's a snaggy river and the stamp of fish is above average.
I have a couple of spools with really low diameter braid and it's just easier to use these and I'm sure I've read favorable reports on here for barbel fishing with a float.
My concern is if I go loop to loop on braid mainline to mono ( say 5lb b.s.) on a good fish or a snag I'll get a crack-off with the braid being much stronger?

So assumption is I use the braid mainline through a new float( Avon or Stick), shot it as normal down to a micro swivel onto which I attach a mono hooklength?
Accept I might still lose a few hooklengths.
Does this make sense?
All advice welcome.
Thanks
Paul.

My float setup for barbel and chub is this: braid main line, normally 20lb (0.16-0.18mm), float on the braid, than a 3-5 feet high BS mono as shock lead loop to lop on braid, than hook link.

Use a good mono from Dave harrell or the Guru monos etc and use line floating. The negative for me with braid is how it catches in the wind when holding back and the noise it can make on the strike etc. I couldn't dream.of anything worse if I was trotting down the trent 2 rods out and my float getting pushed into the edge on the prevailing wind. Plus it gives you the option of getting the speciwags out too.
Just my thought.

Hello - some advice please
Looking to use some floating braid with a 16' float rod for long trotting for chub.
The bit I'm unsure on is the transition to the mono hooklength.
My floats are on winders and normally when using mono on the reel it's a simple loop-to-loop attachment.
So why don't I stick with mono - well all the spools with mono on are too light for where I'm fishing ( 3lb) , it needs replacing as it's from start of the season and I'm really struggling for time to get to the tackle shop , change lines over etc. It's a snaggy river and the stamp of fish is above average.
I have a couple of spools with really low diameter braid and it's just easier to use these and I'm sure I've read favorable reports on here for barbel fishing with a float.
My concern is if I go loop to loop on braid mainline to mono ( say 5lb b.s.) on a good fish or a snag I'll get a crack-off with the braid being much stronger?

So assumption is I use the braid mainline through a new float( Avon or Stick), shot it as normal down to a micro swivel onto which I attach a mono hooklength?
Accept I might still lose a few hooklengths.
Does this make sense?
All advice welcome.
Thanks
Paul.
I've never come across guys float fishing for Chub and barbel using braid?

Surely good old mono from maxima, guru, shimano and the like is all you ever need for Chub & barbel whilst on the float?
Just don't like the idea of that if I'm honest, not like your float fishing for pike with dead baits etc.... (Just my view on things that's all) 😊👍

It depends on the situation.
Braided lines for trotting can be excellent if you can wade out and fish your float on a trot path directly inline from the rod tip and obviously it is preferable on a very calm day. In this situation a braided line is better than a mono.
However ….. if you bank fishing where your Trott path is out from the rod tip and with any wind I’d avoid braided lines like the plague.

Also floats on winders???? Loop to loop??
Not my way of doing things.
Put your float directly on the braid and your olivette below it between two stops. Then link your hook length to your braid below your olivette with a good quality swivel. You should definitely have a swivel there to do away with potential line twist.

I've never come across guys float fishing for Chub and barbel using braid?

Surely good old mono from maxima, guru, shimano and the like is all you ever need for Chub & barbel whilst on the float?
Just don't like the idea of that if I'm honest, not like your float fishing for pike with dead baits etc.... (Just my view on things that's all) 😊👍
I use braid for trotting a lot, especially when fishing a snag area, so I don't have to use high diameter mono line. Also, it makes strike faster since it is no stretch. But I do switch to mono if it is windy.

Hi Julian honestly it's a game changer. Don't forget a lot of grayling anglers use braid too. The best I have found by a country mile is Berkley Fireline. From a few feet away even looks like mono. I have had a lot of barbel this year on the float and even more chub.

I use Fireline Crystal in 0.16 on a centre pin and its seems to behave itself once you've wet it / done a few trots (can be a little wiry initially) - I have various floats on winders for speed mainly, usually 5-6lb Standard Supplex Mono if using an olivette or sometimes Drennan Supplex Fluro. As most of the swims I use this method on range from 4-5ft max I just tie the float section at 5ft and attach loop to loop just above the float or pull the float down the mono as required if overdepth. Always have a matrix quick change swivel at the business end and then add a loop end 6-12" hooklink (again in either mono or fluro as required but generally in a slightly lighter bs) with whatever sized hook at the other end (bait / fish size dependent)

The line visibility, consistent level of flotation and lack of stretch is def an advantage in terms of float management / presentation; striking is also a mere wrist flick with braid . . . .I'm not too bothered about a mono buffer as the rod and reel is providing more than enough cushion but if you've never used braid before it may mean a few bumped fish initially before you get used to it . . .

I use a pin for lots of different situations so one line is a real bonus. Change the rod and I am ready. Tried a few braids over many years and am currently very impressed with Matrix x coated in 16 lb.

Mono hook length on a swivel and braid right through . You don't strike as such , just lift into the fish . A rod with a soft tip section is a good buffer to counter lunges nearer the net . I prefer yellow braid , easily seen . If it fades , turn it around .

I use Fireline Crystal in 0.16 on a centre pin and its seems to behave itself once you've wet it / done a few trots (can be a little wiry initially) - I have various floats on winders for speed mainly, usually 5-6lb Standard Supplex Mono if using an olivette or sometimes Drennan Supplex Fluro. As most of the swims I use this method on range from 4-5ft max I just tie the float section at 5ft and attach loop to loop just above the float or pull the float down the mono as required if overdepth. Always have a matrix quick change swivel at the business end and then add a loop end 6-12" hooklink (again in either mono or fluro as required but generally in a slightly lighter bs) with whatever sized hook at the other end (bait / fish size dependent)

The line visibility, consistent level of flotation and lack of stretch is def an advantage in terms of float management / presentation; striking is also a mere wrist flick with braid . . . .I'm not too bothered about a mono buffer as the rod and reel is providing more than enough cushion but if you've never used braid before it may mean a few bumped fish initially before you get used to it . . .
Where did you get the fireline nowadays? Seems sold out everywhere.

Mono hook length on a swivel and braid right through . You don't strike as such , just lift into the fish . A rod with a soft tip section is a good buffer to counter lunges nearer the net . I prefer yellow braid , easily seen . If it fades , turn it around .
That’s exactly how I’d rig it up as well. Float and olivette straight on the main line.
I like the drennan quick clip swivels tied just below the olivette and a hook length just put straight on to that. Dropper shot sometimes and sometimes not. Depends on bait size, where in the water column I’m fishing and how fast it’s pushing through.

I haven’t used braid for trotting in such a long time. I would use it definitely in the right situation but I can’t get on with it on the banks of the nene and G Ouse where you physically cast a float right out and keep a line mended behind the float from the bank. I’d need a 25ft rod to stand a better chance with braid from where I’m fishing most of the time.

Well took advice Huanzhou and used braid - back to back grinnner to 10lb mono for bulk shot and loop to loop to hooklink
Worked great
Proof of pudding- 16 fish inc five 5’s to 5-12 and a beauty 6-4
All in prime condition 👍
84D42282-0988-4E97-8F01-1425EE5C1AB5.jpeg

Where did you get the fireline nowadays? Seems sold out everywhere.

That’s exactly how I’d rig it up as well. Float and olivette straight on the main line.
I like the drennan quick clip swivels tied just below the olivette and a hook length just put straight on to that. Dropper shot sometimes and sometimes not. Depends on bait size, where in the water column I’m fishing and how fast it’s pushing through.

I haven’t used braid for trotting in such a long time. I would use it definitely in the right situation but I can’t get on with it on the banks of the nene and G Ouse where you physically cast a float right out and keep a line mended behind the float from the bank. I’d need a 25ft rod to stand a better chance with braid from where I’m fishing most of the time.
I was using a 16' rod from the bank and even at that it wasn't perfect for mending the line but thankfully no wind. I set the reels up in the summer for getting in the river after barbel as you say, right behind it. Like most of us I abstained July & August due to drought and then I was back bank fishing so thought I'd give them a go on chub, as I've found most 6lb reel line is hard work mending even when greased behind the float. And none of my reels had strong enough, new enough mono on them. So I just wanted to give the braid a go. I had one of them big chub snap a 7lb hooklink last week so I'm a bit wary of not transitioning too dramatically. I can't remember what the BS of the braid is but I'm guessing it will 15-20lb and I was going down to 5lb hooklinks, hence I stepped it down by using some 10lb mono as the ' shock leader'
Few more knots than I would like but it worked for me on the day.

Back