• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice needed on Rods

Mark Hooper

Now this has probably been asked loads of times but I need some friendly advice so apologise in advance.
I've recently moved n most of my fishing has involved fishing the Bristol Avon which is quite a small river with the odd monthly trip to the wye.
Now my local river is the Taff which in comparison is a lot bigger but my concern is what rod should I go for in winter flood conditions.
I don't really want to be paying top prices around a £100 a rod but I have heard it really pushes through in the winter!! 6oz needed on average.
Now my other question is would my century Ng's suffice in 2.75tc as they play like a 2.25 with a nice through action or do you feel I would be over gunned.
Just a thought as I never use them anymore (not for 4 years)

Regards
mark

The Fox Duo-Lite FX will do the job Mark. You'll get them for around £110 and you have the flexibility of the twin-tip.

Dave

Mark, before you go spending your money, try the rods you already have, you never know, they may just be perfect. If there not, then, look for something new. :)

Now this has probably been asked loads of times but I need some friendly advice so apologise in advance.
I've recently moved n most of my fishing has involved fishing the Bristol Avon which is quite a small river with the odd monthly trip to the wye.
Now my local river is the Taff which in comparison is a lot bigger but my concern is what rod should I go for in winter flood conditions.
I don't really want to be paying top prices around a £100 a rod but I have heard it really pushes through in the winter!! 6oz needed on average.
Now my other question is would my century Ng's suffice in 2.75tc as they play like a 2.25 with a nice through action or do you feel I would be over gunned.
Just a thought as I never use them anymore (not for 4 years)

Regards
mark
check out the korum ones.
Korum Xpert 12' Rods | Hinders Fishing Superstore

I'm with Derek on this Mark....give your Century's a whirl...my first trip to a flooded Trent last year was with my son's 2.5TC Ballista Slims.....the bugger took them back and won't sell 'em to me....LOL :eek:

The rods will probably be ok ,a lot of times you hear 6 oz was needed to hold bottom,usually this is down to how they are fishing.If you chuck it out downstream in front of you to hold in the flow, you might need 6oz. Upstreaming with a bow in the line you will probably get away with 3oz. Fishing on a crease down the edge of the flow usually a lot less and a lot of the bigger fish sit right on the edge of these slack/flow areas.

I used to fish the Kennet and Loddon until I moved house and now I fish the Trent. I haven't changed my rods and don't plan to. I personally wouldn't use carp rods as they just take the excitement out of it for me.

Nick C

Fish The Taff in a flood and you will need 6ozs under the rod tops !!
I'd say give you existing rods a try !! If it's low then your normal BA gear will be fine !!

As Paul says I've fished both and normal levels you'll get away with Ba gear during a flood on the Taff I've used twin tip rods normally going for a 2lb to 2.5lb tc. As Mark said earlier under you rod tops on the Taff during flood has certainly paid off for me. I've used up to 8oz to hold bottom though.

I've used 6oz leads on 1.5lb test curve rods loads of times with no problems at all, although these days I do use 1.75's in high water. Provided you use a gentle lob when casting, they're fine. I think people grossly underestimate what a 1.75lb rod is capable of. I also avoid heavy rods because they don't go well with non stretch lines, leading to mouth tears and hook pulls - or at least they have with me.

Nick C

I've used 6oz leads on 1.5lb test curve rods loads of times with no problems at all, although these days I do use 1.75's in high water. Provided you use a gentle lob when casting, they're fine. I think people grossly underestimate what a 1.75lb rod is capable of. I also avoid heavy rods because they don't go well with non stretch lines, leading to mouth tears and hook pulls - or at least they have with me.

Nick C
I'd like to see anyone cast 6oz's on a 1.5lb rod, i really would, that's cast not swing out, the most i can cast on all the 1.5lb rods i've used is 3 and that felt dangerous.

Done it with a 1.75tc half way across the TT but not enough power in blank to go any further just couldnt compress it properly

Not a problem at all pal. Its all about knowing the tackle mate. Iv cleared the TT completely with my carp rods which are warrior s 3.00lb and quite soft on the tip with very little power in the butt section, but it is only a £60 rod so its not end of world if i blew it up, however that did do it with ease!!

As Paul says I've fished both and normal levels you'll get away with Ba gear during a flood on the Taff I've used twin tip rods normally going for a 2lb to 2.5lb tc. As Mark said earlier under you rod tops on the Taff during flood has certainly paid off for me. I've used up to 8oz to hold bottom though.

Cheers Clive
Will try what I got, I'm sure my Normal BA will be fine n will try the century's in flood if I feel I'm over gunned then I shall have a look at the new korums???
All I have to do now is locate the barbs, spoke to one angler when walking the dog n his response was no barbel in here mate.half hour later when walking back he was putting back a whacking great double :rolleyes:

Mark

Back