• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice needed on avon tips!!!!!

Mark Hooper

Basically I'm wanting to paint the tips on my Avon tips white???.
So is there a particular type paint I need that doesn't damage the finish of the rods or whipping??.
Any advice or pointers would be most helpful.
Mark

Mark, the best solution is to very neatly wrap PTFE tape around the tip, it lasts a long time, takes a fair bit of abuse and can be removed when you get fed up with it or chnaged with no damage or detrimental effect at all to the rod.

Failing that, paitwise, most use domestic appliance spray.

if your rod has a shiny finish ,it'll need a very light rubbing down to key it ,then you mask off the rod rings .then use plasti-kote white spray paint (available from most d.i.y stores) to give the tip ywo coats of paint ,i usually then put a top clear coat on ,but this isn't necessary ,i also paint the last gap between rod ring and end eye a fluro colour (orange or yellow) for contrast

here's one i did earlier

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

and use some yacht varnish to waterproof the tip once you have decided on what colour/substance you are going to use.i did my rods with it several years ago and still going well

Back