• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice for River Severn

Garry Howell

Hi, after a bit of advice on the Severn, we are visiting on Monday and Tuesday next week, having never fished the Severn before we have joined the BAA and plan to fish their stretch at Hampton Loade - any advice on this or recommendations as to an alternative stretch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

They have two stretches at HL Garry. The one on the left bank by the River and Rail pub, and the opposite bank downstream of it.
The left bank one you are at the mercy of the NT car park, which is usually locked up prior to sunset, but the opposite bank you're ok, but both can get busy. Whatever though, it won't be easy given the low water and hot weather this week.

They have two stretches at HL Garry. The one on the left bank by the River and Rail pub, and the opposite bank downstream of it.
The left bank one you are at the mercy of the NT car park, which is usually locked up prior to sunset, but the opposite bank you're ok, but both can get busy. Whatever though, it won't be easy given the low water and hot weather this week.
Thanks John, I take it that we won't need a lot of weight for leads or feeders if this is the case, is it worth going a little lighter for leaders 8 instead of 10 or stay safe? Hopefully it won't be quite as hot at the start of next week!

Hi, after a bit of advice on the Severn, we are visiting on Monday and Tuesday next week, having never fished the Severn before we have joined the BAA and plan to fish their stretch at Hampton Loade - any advice on this or recommendations as to an alternative stretch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Garry, I haven't fished HL for years but it was always busy. Id recommend the Coombys Farm stretch on the BAA ticket, easy parking in the farm yard and lots of river to go at, some decent fish to low doubles present too. in current conditions a 50g feeder will hold.

Well done Garry. You did much better than I did the previous week. I fished nearby for 6 straight evenings for just one barbel, and I was pleased to bag that.
Pity the fishing wasn’t as HOT as the weather

Back