• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

advice for a newbie

I am new to specimen angling and this forum ( Have fished for 45 years) and would like to ask a question from a point of view genuine ignorance.

What is the logic behind keeping big fish captures secret ?

Is fish welfare the only reason ? ( a reason I totally get )

Why can't the specific venue be just be kept quiet yet the river named ?

On some rivers I seem to bump into so many anglers who have claimed to have caught or witnessed fish to equal or larger than the river's record, who provide zero evidence but none the less in am expected to believe. If I were to question these captures I feel sure I might end up in the river ! But some of the claims do seem outlandish.

I just don't understand what is going on and what is acceptable behaviour to the majority . This is a plea for help and guidance

regards David

As Jon says, if you catch and catch well and happen to get a biggy or two in amongst them, then make the area obvious, you can say goodbye to getting back into your favourite spot.

I've caught one bigger than that rivers current record, and didn't hide the capture, but I was keen to keep the specific area to only a few well trusted pals. I also knew there'd been even bigger caught so no interest in claiming a record :)

I came back to coarse fishing after a long period of fly fishing, mostly the midlands reservoirs, where anglers spoke freely about their captures, locations and the flies they caught on. Many would give you the winning fly to try yourself even if it was the last one in their box.

A major difference is that if fly fishing from a drifting boat you can all fish over the same water in successive drifts and that bank space is not at a huge premium on most days.

Successful barbel anglers tend to be the ones who spend a lot of time on their chosen water enduring many blanks until they find the best swims. Having done the legwork why would you give away the location?

Not all are secretive,there's a well known top barbel angler lives in ringwood who has helped me out in previous years when I've struggled,in fact put me on a swim where I went on to catch my old PB he was as happy as me,l know he's helped others out as well.

If you're the kind of guy that tends to believe everything you read on social media then you may be tempted to believe what you hear on the banks. Things are (often) not what they appear to be, and there's some truth in the caricature of the "It was this big" angler.
How much information you give away is an entirely personal choice ... but what you give can't be retracted later though. If someone asks me for advice then I'll freely give it, but I'll never give away 'my' (far from the madding crowd) swims.

The river Ivel was a case in point .. not a busy venue at all ...one rod roving Swim to swim was the order of the day... then the bigger doubles we’re getting a lot of publicity and in no time it became bivvy city ... the circus had arrived noise and litter problems for the residents whose gardens backed onto the Ivel .... it wouldn’t surprise me if the residents chipped in and bought a few otters to release 😁😁

I have had some 'interesting' debates' on this very subject on another angling forum, which is a club that is has many miles of Barbel fishing, more than any other club in the land, and save from just one or two anglers oppose the need to be 'coy' about broadcasting where the fish was caught.
You might get a different opinion on there, from those on here, but I suspect you are aware of that.

Not all are secretive,there's a well known top barbel angler lives in ringwood who has helped me out in previous years when I've struggled,in fact put me on a swim where I went on to catch my old PB he was as happy as me,l know he's helped others out as well.
That's a different circumstance, when a one to one piece of 'intel' is given.
I had a bailiff on the Wye advise me to stick a large piece of meat under the near bank willow, he said I would catch a double barbel..I did, and I did...he didn't put in on the front page of the Angling Times., and I suspect neither did you , or your friend;)

I have had some 'interesting' debates' on this very subject on another angling forum, which is a club that is has many miles of Barbel fishing, more than any other club in the land, and save from just one or two anglers oppose the need to be 'coy' about broadcasting where the fish was caught.
You might get a different opinion on there, from those on here, but I suspect you are aware of that.

That would be where "Jeff" hangs out eh Neil? And all those 'Barbelgods'. It really is silly season on there currently.

David . My help and guidance would be this . If you catch a big / record fish and don't want the place where you caught it recognised then don't publish pictures or tell anyone , simple as that . As to how to react to anglers telling you tales of whoppers caught , just smile , say' thats impressive 'and walk away

I actually love talking to the blokes on the bank, for me its part of the whole fishing experience , and we share some stories of past triumphs, and failures. I admit to sharing where I might have had some success, as they do in return, its very much car park banter, and it surprising the info you can glean, of course none of it is substantiated with evidence, but perhaps enough to renew confidence in the venue. I have always found anglers face to face to be the most friendliest of folk, but on the other hand not so through the modern medium of the keyboard.
But this site is a genuinely great place to be, of course we call don't agree on everything, but we all seem to agree on one thing, we would never take what we do for granted, be it the environement, the fish, or our fellow angling friends, so welcome David, this place will only inspire you, like it does me.

I see no benefits out of too much publicity. These fish are our future and they get pressured enough.
someone has had to put the work in to find them in the first place so why would they want to broadcast that and let the sheep reap the rewards off the back of it.

As a caveat , I see nothing wrong with taking a picture of a special fish and sharing it with the world , it's nice to see what others catch . However name the stretch or make it obvious where you caught it and folks will will be on to it straightaway
Yeah agree. I like seeing what people have caught and also post pictures of fish I’m happy to of caught but where they’ve been caught should remain between you and the fish

Back