• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advanta River Ambush 7ft 1 3/4tc

Alex Constantinou

How do all,

Does anyone have any experience of the above rod? I’ve been gifted one as a birthday present but slightly dubious regarding its suitability for close quarters hit and hold fishing.

I know the rod is through action but the blank feels incredibly soft compared to my other through action rods. The size is preferable for specific swims where my 10ft rods are a bit cumbersome, I just don’t want to put myself or the fish in a situation where any issues could arise.

Cheers

I can’t fault either of those things, he’s had some good fish on them by the looks of things. The price certainly can’t be grumbled at either!

Small venues somewhat off the radar, multi-species, simplistic approach and no bs. What’s not to like about that! Fairly similar to my own fishing in a lot of ways.

I guess I’ll just have to wait for the 16th, get out after work and see how the rod handles on the customary June 16th blanking session!

Small venues somewhat off the radar, multi-species, simplistic approach and no bs. What’s not to like about that! Fairly similar to my own fishing in a lot of ways.

I guess I’ll just have to wait for the 16th, get out after work and see how the rod handles on the customary June 16th blanking session!
Agreed, always enjoy his vids.

It certainly looks the ideal price point for this type of rod. Have never seen the point of expensive 'tree rods', not when you think of how roughly they can get treated when your jungle fishing.
You’re not wrong there! I tend to use and abuse my gear at the best of times and I’ll certainly be putting this one through its paces.
I have the 5.5ft 1.5lb one, decent piece of kit for the price, and powerful enough for double figure fish.
My daughter is pestering me for one. I nearly gave in and got her one but I know as soon as it’s home she won’t want to go fishing. Then again, it’s an excuse to add another rod to my already “excessive collection” (mrs words not mine) so maybe I should 😂

Well my Advanta Ambush @7ft 1.75 has joined the stables, and it looks like a bargain, well finished, and looks like a perfect hit and hold rod. Just have to find something to hit and hold with it now.
Here’s to a few lumps on the bank this season!

I’ve got everything ready for a short session after work on Thursday. I’m looking forward to giving the new rod a go.

You’re not wrong there! I tend to use and abuse my gear at the best of times and I’ll certainly be putting this one through its paces.

My daughter is pestering me for one. I nearly gave in and got her one but I know as soon as it’s home she won’t want to go fishing. Then again, it’s an excuse to add another rod to my already “excessive collection” (mrs words not mine) so maybe I should 😂
Surely your daughter wants a Torrix 11ft 1.75? Future proofing... just saying 😉😅

Surely your daughter wants a Torrix 11ft 1.75? Future proofing... just saying 😉😅
She said she wants a full custom jobby with a burgundy aka claret blank, sky blue whipping, with gold lion and AVFC detailing.

I told her she has to behave for the year and that if she’s really good Santa may bring me one this Christmas 😂

Finally managed to get out and give the rod an outing. No barbel unfortunately but did manage a few decent chub (for the stretch) to about 4lb.

Overall it’s a reasonable bit of kit for its price point and thus far it’s handled what I’ve thrown at it quite well. I’d definitely recommend it if you want something to use now and again, for £26 I can’t find any faults and it punches way above its price point.

Finally managed to get out and give the rod an outing. No barbel unfortunately but did manage a few decent chub (for the stretch) to about 4lb.

Overall it’s a reasonable bit of kit for its price point and thus far it’s handled what I’ve thrown at it quite well. I’d definitely recommend it if you want something to use now and again, for £26 I can’t find any faults and it punches way above its price point.
Probably the best you could have done given so early in season for Barbel, haven't used mine yet but hopefully this week there is a backwater with overhanging Willows that IF a Barbel should oblige would give it a good workout.
Real heart stopping stuff when there were a reasonable head of Barbel in the river, one particular scrap was immense 12lb of angry Autumn Gold at sunset doesn't get any better.
Does it?☺

Probably the best you could have done given so early in season for Barbel, haven't used mine yet but hopefully this week there is a backwater with overhanging Willows that IF a Barbel should oblige would give it a good workout.
Real heart stopping stuff when there were a reasonable head of Barbel in the river, one particular scrap was immense 12lb of angry Autumn Gold at sunset doesn't get any better.
Does it?☺
Exactly, on this particular venue a barbel is a rare creature but they are there so it’s worth having a go!

It was good to get out and do some proper fishing again, it’s a newish stretch for me and I’m still trying to work it out but happy with results so far! Mind you September can’t come quick enough as that’s when I really start focusing on the Berties and I’m hoping for a lump this season. As you say, it doesn’t get much better than that!

Back