• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advanced angling kennet permit

Ben Jennings

Used to fish this years ago when it was on the burghfield lake permit. Have just come up on the waiting list and been offered a ticket. Is it worth it? It's only 5 minutes from my house which I like and used to have some nice barbel but hear nothing about it these days and at £250 it's not cheap. Any info would be great thanks.

Hi men,

I would also add it to the Kennet river thread , but as it's the close season it will get seen on here , and I know there are people that fish the stretch that look in on Bfw .

Hatter

Hi Ben, my last season on that ticket was 14/15 and I generally found it tough, rather like most of the Kennet. It does have some great features, not least the big weir which I really enjoyed fishing. A maggot feeder would throw up a lot of silver fish which was a pleasant change. It will be like much of the Kennet these days, not prolific but could well deliever some decent fish with work and a mobile approach. If I lived as close as you, I would probably have a punt for a season and give it a good go.

That's a ridiculous amount of money, I would think some Salmon Beats on the Wye would be cheaper.

Whatever happened to coarse fishing being a working man's hobby?

I wouldn't pay it on principle.

There are some big Barbel there but not easy to catch. Lovely peaceful place to fish. Its cheaper than The Wasing estate which is £267 this year. Again you can fish the Wasing all day without seeing anyone. If you can afford it go for it. You will love them both. And cheaper than joining a golf club around the South.

It's a lot of money if you don't use it. However if you go an average of twice a week from the start of the season to the end of November, and say 6 times towards the end of the season then it's costing less than £9 a session.

You can't get 3 pints of ale for that these days and a game of snooker will cost you around £7/hour these days. I can't get a decent ticket at Old Trafford for much less than £45 theses days, and round of golf on a half decent golf course won't cost much less than £25.

Each to their own, but for me if it means fishing a lovely river in solitude and well away from other anglers and 'local experts', and in picturesque surrounds then I think it's well worth it.

For me there is nothing worse than busy banks, not being able to fish the swim of your choice, and the nagging fear that you might be fishing a swim that another angler has over-baited the day before.

For £250 i would want a guarantee that i would catch at least 10 Barbel per session plus a 2-course dinner with drinks included.

Thankfully, everyone is different- looking for different things, different priorities and making choices about how to spend their money. I didn't renew last season because I just wasn't fishing it enough. If I lived 5 mins away as the OP does then I would see it as good value.

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/members/picture.php?albumid=490&pictureid=5887
When I fished the venue on the Leisure Sport ticket you could fish the whole complex ( single venue permit) for peanuts or pay £121 for all 31 top venues which included 'special venues' such as Darenth etc. ( the group ticket, which included Burghfield was much cheaper)
Plenty of barbel in the river then, plus some superb tench and pike fishing in the other pits.
'Twas 1984 though!;)

Thanks chaps I think I will give it a try even if it's only for a year. Was thinking about joining wasing but drive past here to get to wasing. It's a lot to pay but for years I was a carper and to be honest compared to carp syndicates £250 isn't that much. I use to pay that for a couple of tickets with Rdaa and the night permits for there on top. It used to be lovely and peaceful I can remember that. Can't hurt to try it for a year and surely it's easier than the loddon ticket I'll drop to go towards paying for it.

Hi men ,

The best way to compare , the way i do it , is that its 10 trips to somewhere like Linear , and if you do more than 10 trips your quids in , and if you do more than 10 trips and its nice and quiet , even more so.

Hatter

I was treated to a Wasing ticket one year.

Actually found it busier in the week than R and District waters.

Lots of old codgers that were retired mainly.

Less of the old codgers thankyou Graham!:D
You're right though,... often find that the exclusive venues are busier in the week than at weekends.

Hi men ,

Funny Graham , me and Sue hardly see a soul there , even midweek , in fact we made quite a few swims off the beaten track that were never visited between trip ;) .

The old codgers , they were nice fellows , always up for a cuppa from Sue.

Hatter

Thanks for the information chaps and I think I'll give it a go for a season at least and see what it's like. Does look a lovely stretch of river and is closer than wasing which I was also looking at.

Back