• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ads ruining the BFW experience.

As mentioned previously, the ads pay for the running of the site. If you can put up with them, it makes a huge difference to us. The profit we make from selling the odd packet of hooks here and there don't cover the fairly hefty server and support costs we pay (I could get this service cheaper but I think it's important to use a UK based hosting company who employ UK based staff).

It's interesting, as a result of the slightly intrusive ads that Google injected into the middle of the pages yesterday, we made 61% more than we did on the same day last week. I've turned those off so won't be buying the Spanish villa for another few years ;)

If you can get used to scrolling past the advert at the top of the forums rather than hiding it, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks,

Andy

I really cant see the problem ?? so there are a few adverts that take a few SECONDS of your life to scroll past them ?

I mean for gods sake !!!!!!!!! have you forgotten what it was like before high speed internet ?? when every picture used to slowly appear ?? now its pretty much instant and your get people whining about a scrolling past a few adds ?

I find it laughable its now the INSTANT WE CANT WAIT A MOMENT AGE 🥴

I really cant see the problem ?? so there are a few adverts that take a few SECONDS of your life to scroll past them ?

I mean for gods sake !!!!!!!!! have you forgotten what it was like before high speed internet ?? when every picture used to slowly appear ?? now its pretty much instant and your get people whining about a scrolling past a few adds ?

instant? what you using:)😀

The fields are a mud bath, the rivers are bank high, and the water's reet chilly ...so we've slipped in a kinda Close Season/Silly Season mode innit. We'll all be happy when the rivers are steaming again ;)

Well the problem was the ads that appeared in the middle of the pages on the site, can you imagine if any of your posts were hidden from all to see?:p

Andy, I was not aware of the revenue you receive for running these ads were so crucial into maintaining this site, I wasn't really aware you received any payment at all. I did consider these pop ups were a monstrous liberty on behalf of some scam site. Knowing now they are an important revenue stream, of course I am more than happy to put up and shut up.
The top and bottom ads were obvious, but the inner ones were imo doing the site no favours, in my opinion, and as stated no one wants this site to go the way of FM, its a fine line, I guess .
You are smart enough to act quickly, BTW is a top site, indespensible.
Thank you.

Andy, I was not aware of the revenue you receive for running these ads were so crucial into maintaining this site, I wasn't really aware you received any payment at all. I did consider these pop ups were a monstrous liberty on behalf of some scam site. Knowing now they are an important revenue stream, of course I am more than happy to put up and shut up.
The top and bottom ads were obvious, but the inner ones were imo doing the site no favours, in my opinion, and as stated no one wants this site to go the way of FM, its a fine line, I guess .
You are smart enough to act quickly, BTW is a top site, indespensible.
Thank you.

Agree... the ads in the centre of the posts were a pain, but tbh I can blank the top and bottom ones . The funny thing is, on another website that has various ads, I also scroll past them . I actually noticed something that was of interest to me the other day, but had moved a page by the time the little grey cells registered it, and couldnt find it again later .

So if the ads are a contributory financial benefit to us having a websit that hopefully is most things to most people, maybe we should tolerate them.
What is the alternative ?

David

Perhaps some valuable income could be got from sales on classifieds, say 5%? The charge could be levied at the initial ad stage, and charge on completion to the buyer. After all this would still be cheaper than ebay, which is one reason why BFW classifieds are so popular.
The BFW shop could be I feel a goldmine , I appreciate the time administrating it might be a problem, but the brand BFW is a strong one , and is synonymous with quality, mainly down to the rods.
I have noticed, due mainly I suppose to the weather that BFW threads mostly have a what tackle theme, (probably too many), so lots of interest in house.

Back