• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Adcock Stanton Help

Nick Coulthurst

Senior Member & Supporter
I’ve just bought a 5 inch Stanton for trotting which doesn’t have a ratchet but does have a drag knob on the front (or at least I assume that’s what it is). Problem is tightening the drag knob has no effect on the free running of the spool. Is there an easy fix to this or am I going to have to put an elastic band on my reel seat to stop it spinning when moving swims ? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5001.jpeg
    IMG_5001.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 99
Not sure Nick , but I don't think that is a drag knob . Clive Shipman, who I think is a BFW member is the man to ask about all things centre pins , he's on F Book

if you are referring to the slotted screw on the front then this is to release the spool from the back plate, I would guess. I’m not overly familiar with Stantons but I assumed they all had a ratchet at least and it’s hard to see any advantage in not having something that can either be used or not, as the case may be.

I have one - with a domed, slotted screw (to remove the spool) on the faceplate. Mine has a ratchet switch on the backplate.

A quick scout on eBay found one that looks like yours and it is described as a ‘brake adjuster’ - just as you described.

How it works I have no clue. As suggested Clive S might help you, or maybe Gary Mills ?

That is a drag on the front.
If it doesn't slow the spool down or stop it if tightened up then it may be a washer thats shot?
Pick a coin that fits the slit flushly so not to damage it because it is soft alloy. Use a grinder to shape the coin to fit the slit, then hold the back of the coin to unscrew the screw, you can pack out the slit with a cloth or tissue if the coin is to thin. Removing the screw releases the drum from the backplate.

Last edited:
I have the same as yours, you may need to hold the centre screw with a flathead screwdriver and then twist the drag knob. Basically if the centre screw moves with the drag knob then its been over tightened. I'll go and check a bit later.

Don't mess about, use an elastic band, or better still a neoprene pouch.

There really is nothing much to them, when you bought one new they came supplied with the little tool to remove the spool in the box. People just loose them over time. You do need to take the spool off and clean behind it now and then.
I've had numerous ones over the years, this is the only one I have now, it has the same front drag but also has a ratchet button on the backplate.

I’ve managed to loosen the screw out of the centre drag knob but it doesn’t seem to make any difference to how the reel spins whether I have both screwed up tight or any other configuration. I’m not really sure how the mechanism works tbh. Do those of you who have the same reel (no ratchet) use this feature or elastic bands ?

I’ve managed to loosen the screw out of the centre drag knob but it doesn’t seem to make any difference to how the reel spins whether I have both screwed up tight or any other configuration. I’m not really sure how the mechanism works tbh. Do those of you who have the same reel (no ratchet) use this feature or elastic bands ?

Just remove the screw altogether and take it appart, remove the drum, it might need a good cleaning out.

Its not a left hand thread is it?

Hi Nick. While I don’t know anything about this particular pin, I’m yet to lay my hands on one that is a complicated design. I’m sure i could fix or at the very least diagnose the issue for you if you want to send it to me to have a look.

Not sure Nick , but I don't think that is a drag knob . Clive Shipman, who I think is a BFW member is the man to ask about all things centre pins , he's on F Book
Hi Nick
That is Def a Drag knob. They are a bit temperamental, I found it's best to leave the Drag alone. Adcocks come in various forms - no rachet or drag, rachet and no drag, drag and no rachet, and very rare (I think) is drag, and rachet. The first adcock I brought (second hand off eBay) had no drag or ratchet, I contacted cliff Adcock who agreed to put a rachet on it for a small fee, which he did. I personally love Adcocks - handmade British engineering, but would not now buy one without a rachet! Sorry to inform you I think the best thing to do is sell yours and buy one with a rachet. I only use them for float fishing, but know others who have used them for leggering.
Most are silver, very few are black
Regards Wayne

Hi Nick
That is Def a Drag knob. They are a bit temperamental, I found it's best to leave the Drag alone. Adcocks come in various forms - no rachet or drag, rachet and no drag, drag and no rachet, and very rare (I think) is drag, and rachet. The first adcock I brought (second hand off eBay) had no drag or ratchet, I contacted cliff Adcock who agreed to put a rachet on it for a small fee, which he did. I personally love Adcocks - handmade British engineering, but would not now buy one without a rachet! Sorry to inform you I think the best thing to do is sell yours and buy one with a rachet. I only use them for float fishing, but know others who have used them for leggering.
Most are silver, very few are black
Regards Wayne
The domed screw on adcocks is not a drag knob, the screw on yours is a Drag knob

There really is nothing much to them, when you bought one new they came supplied with the little tool to remove the spool in the box. People just loose them over time. You do need to take the spool off and clean behind it now and then.
I've had numerous ones over the years, this is the only one I have now, it has the same front drag but also has a ratchet button on the backplate.

Nice reel, same as mine

Nice reel, same as mine

Yes, as far as i'm aware there were only a handful of black ones made in 4inches. The one in the picture was a one off having the drag left unanodised and a brass check button on the back.
I let a unused boxed black one in 4 1/2 go a year or so back, it had a black drag and stainless ratchet switch.
I think the very latest stantons made by the people who bought the stanton name were prolly better, but they were quite expensive at 500 quid and upwards dependant on the speck's the buyer wanted.
Unfortunately I believe the owners of the company have jacked it in, so no more stantons!

Back