• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Adcock Stanton: hellooooo, is anyone there?

Howard Cooke

I have rarely come across a commercial organisation seemingly so disinclined to make a sale-something I imagine would be central to ensuring some measure of success for a commercial venture. I don't think I am being out of step with modern trading practices by holding a believe that to generate income, a profit even, the first and arguably most important step, is to actually sell the very thing you promote.

Has anyone else recently tried to make contact with the company? I have, and its been quite a struggle, so much so that I have lost confidence in them and have moved on. I did manage one conversation a little while ago which resulted in me completing an order form. But I heard nothing further. I then successfully made contact (after many failed attempts) with someone who was basically taking messages, and I expressed a degree of frustration with the lack of engagement and response. I was promised a call back last weekend-it never happened and I am still waiting.

I really want to support these sorts of businesses but it needs to be easier than this to do business with them. Thankfully I can balance this experience with the likes of Bob Gill and Ian Tucker who have been fantastically responsive and helpful.

Oh well.

I think you might find Howard that with the Adcock Stanton, it's being made and sold by a licence holder rather than Cliff Adcock who put his name to the original pins.

I bought an old Adcocks Stanton and phoned the company to see whether they could renovate it. I spoke to a man called Ray Hyland who now owns the company and he was very helpful. I posted the reel to him, he repaired what needed doing and gave the metal work an unexpected and uncharged brush up and polish. The price of the work was very reasonable. That was about two years ago.

I think you might find Howard that with the Adcock Stanton, it's being made and sold by a licence holder rather than Cliff Adcock who put his name to the original pins.

Indeed Damian. Still wont be a version in my tackle bag. I am generally very relaxed and understanding when there are issues over delivery and parts or people being ill or accidentally but brutally cutting off their heads while combing their hair. As long as I know and am kept up to date. It's just a call isn't it, a simple call, out of courtesy, so easy and cheap and yet so powerful. But when that doesn't happen, it just makes you think they don't really care, not bothered, take it or leave it.

Shame, the reels look so pretty.

Indeed Damian. Still wont be a version in my tackle bag. I am generally very relaxed and understanding when there are issues over delivery and parts or people being ill or accidentally but brutally cutting off their heads while combing their hair. As long as I know and am kept up to date. It's just a call isn't it, a simple call, out of courtesy, so easy and cheap and yet so powerful. But when that doesn't happen, it just makes you think they don't really care, not bothered, take it or leave it.

Shame, the reels look so pretty.

They do look very nice Howard.
It's normally the case that companies couldn't care less once they've got your money...

In my experience, with situations like this, a determined desire to have what it is I was after drove me to purchase something in the end, I wish I hadn't of - there's a reason why they've poor communications.
I might be wrong though.

Damian

My own belief is that he doesn't sell enough to be his only source of income and the business may have become stagnant. No excuse for poor customer service though when a punter shows interest though.

For what it is worth whilst it is a lovely reel to use I don't think that the new Adcocks Stantons are worth anywhere near £300. You can buy good second hand ones for a lot less than that. £150 is what I would value the reel at in today's climate.

Hi Howard

I would recommend getting a Okuma Sheffield.

I know they are not very pretty and as has been said before they are probably not one for the display cabinet but as a working pin they are excellent, parts are available and they do everything it says on the tin!

I have and use about 16 pins in all and of them all, the Sheffield is easiest to maintain and keep clean, also the Sheffield has least "down time".

They are not ideal, I can think of several important improvements, but that said I find them to be a fine reel for both float fishing and ledgering.

But then again I am not a collector, I just use them!

Still looking forward to our session when the new school term starts;)

The Okuma pins are very good . I regularly use an Okuma Aventa Pro , a bit plainer than the rather tarty Sheffield in terms of looks , and fair bit cheaper [ higher quality bearings in the Sheffield ? ] . I mainly use mine for float fishing . .If ledgering in a brisk flow I don't think the Okuma ratchets are strong enough and line would be pulled off , they sound nice though , but not as ' urgent ' as a Speedia ratchet ..

I blame all of this on being away from the river for so long. Despite my novice status when it comes to using a pin, I have discovered that I adore them as mechanical things. And without the distraction of wondering why I blanked again, I diverted that energy into exploring the world of the pin. Keith, I have acquired a Sheffield but I convinced myself that one isn't enough, nowhere near enough in fact. Also, it got me thinking about craftsmanship and wondered if this is a dying art. There seem to be relatively few high quality rod and reel builders. It's all down to the market of course and there are some fine mass produced tackle items out there. But it would be nice to think there is still space for something a bit different, a bit bespoke.

So inevitably I have ordered a reel from Chris Lythe and this means I wait with pre-baited breathe for its safe delivery and I also have ample time to save up for it. But I was looking for something in the interim. In the end I ended up buying a Purist. Probably not the wisest choice but its cost will encourage me to use a pin more next season.

Keith-yes, I am looking forward to that too and will be in touch in due course to sort out a date!

Cheers

Howard I have three Stantons, An original made by the guy who started the company pre Cliff Adcock who’s name now sadly escapes me, and two by Cliff. The original had no ratchet or drag, neither was the spool edge knurled nor was it encumbered with handles. It was given to me by and old chap called Alf Kitchen who’s memory I hold very dear, I was his apprentice 45 years ago. It’s had two new sets of bearings but it is quite simply the best Sheffield reel I have ever come across. Of the other two, I bought one from Cliff and one second hand both the larger 5" versions. Both with handles ratchets and a knurled batting edge and one has an adjustable drag. I have polished out the batting edge and removed the handles from the one with the drag, it is a good trotting reel but Alf talks to me when I am using the older one so the others generally stay at home. The reels are peerless for my style of trotting, but IMHO there are much better reels for Barbel fishing.
I see them come up from time to time on evilbay, unless it’s been run over by a buss it will just need new bearings and you will have a belting float reel.

Howard I have three Stantons, An original made by the guy who started the company pre Cliff Adcock who’s name now sadly escapes me, and two by Cliff. The original had no ratchet or drag, neither was the spool edge knurled nor was it encumbered with handles. It was given to me by and old chap called Alf Kitchen who’s memory I hold very dear, I was his apprentice 45 years ago. It’s had two new sets of bearings but it is quite simply the best Sheffield reel I have ever come across. Of the other two, I bought one from Cliff and one second hand both the larger 5" versions. Both with handles ratchets and a knurled batting edge and one has an adjustable drag. I have polished out the batting edge and removed the handles from the one with the drag, it is a good trotting reel but Alf talks to me when I am using the older one so the others generally stay at home. The reels are peerless for my style of trotting, but IMHO there are much better reels for Barbel fishing.
I see them come up from time to time on evilbay, unless it’s been run over by a buss it will just need new bearings and you will have a belting float reel.

That's a nice story Kevin. It does add something to the experience of fishing when there some other connection going on-makes it all a little less sterile (hence my desire to get my old Mitchell Match refurbished).

I have started to poke about on eBay, but I have this fear that it will ruin me financially. However, I reckon I will take a plunge at some point and get an older version of the Adcock Stanton (or something else of similar pedigree). I just hope I can genuinely convince myself that the purchase will be made because it is really needed.

Many thanks.

Only one question for me Howard. Do I need another one to run lightweight stick gear along the inside crease? Where is Frankie Howard when you need him!

I’ll be seeing you in a bidding war on fleabay then.

PS
My dodgy memory has rebooted, the origins of the Stanton lies with one Harry Reynolds. He obviously had a bit of dry wit about him as he named the reel a Stanton because he nicked the scrap ends of the alli billet his employers at the Stanton Engineering Works used. Or so I was once told. It was all done not for the greater angling good but because Harry liked a pint or two and the proceeds from the reels were not documented on his payslip so therefore not subject to the attention of the apparently extremely formidable Mrs Reynolds.

Last edited:
That's interesting Kevin, I never knew that! I had always assumed the Adcock Stanton the original.
Has the original Stanton the plastic reel foot?

Damian

Hi Damian
The original is older than me, Alf had bought it from Harry 20 years before he gave it to me, so that makes it about 67 years young. Originally it had a riveted brass seat, It got a bit wobbly 20 years or so ago so it's now screwed, but I think from the few others I have seen Harry made them with whatever Stanton’s had in production at the time. I think he later made a mould and cast the seats from melted down alli swarf and odd bits of scrap. I don’t think the polymers about at the time were up to it really. I am pretty sure the first Adcock Stantons had alli seats so maybe Cliff bought the mould. From what I know and my knowledge of Harry is a bit sketchy he was the firms toolmaker so back in the day he probably spent 3/4 of his working life sat on his arse in his little toolroom waiting for something in the factory to go bang. He probably had one or two other little side-lines going to help keep the wolf from the door and assist the clock on its journey from 7.30 to beer o’clock.

The whole story of the Stanton's origins has a character Kevin, that I assumed to be much like most of the reels out there, but it's very different isn't it? Do you think there are many Stantons out there?

I think it is Ade. I read something on a site somewhere a few years ago. It told of Harry but not the details Alf recounted to me, and a few others.
Damian I used to see a few "oop norf" match fishing on the Yorkshire Ouse and its tribs. Lots of guys had the Leeds reel but the Stanton, Reynolds or Adcock were a different class. Top of the tree in the eyes of many a better match angler than I, for cake and grub fishing. Obviously a few are in the know; A Reynolds reel came up on ebay last year. It made a lot more that this tight fisted Yorkshireman was willing to pay; and it needed plenty of work to make it sing again.

You old boys and your romantic reminiscing bless

A superbly engineered device, robust, hardwearing and accurate. Thought you would appreciate that Patrick.

Hi Kevin, I own one centrepin an okuma. Whilst I think they are things of beauty and very well engineered In MY opinion I dont think they are suitable for barbel fishing and people who do use them should rethink about there use. They're great for trotting a stick float but hardly the tool for bringing in barbel. I'm sure the purists will be lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks but I'd rather have a decent retrieval rate of a modern mangle. Like I said just MY opinion.:eek:

Back