• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Acolyte Ultra v Plus

You mean the commercial f1 and silver rod? Or they have something new to come as well?

No, if you read Richard's post I quoted, I think it's pretty clear that I was talking about a stepped up Acolyte float rod. Here's a link to a Drennan website article from early this year that was the first hint that something might be coming. https://www.drennantackle.com/mike-davidsons-scottish-grayling-trip/
Someone who frequents BFW was a little more direct and asked Drennan straight when the new Acolyte float rod(s?) was due and was told to keep an eye on the website in "November".

No, if you read Richard's post I quoted, I think it's pretty clear that I was talking about a stepped up Acolyte float rod. Here's a link to a Drennan website article from early this year that was the first hint that something might be coming. https://www.drennantackle.com/mike-davidsons-scottish-grayling-trip/
Someone who frequents BFW was a little more direct and asked Drennan straight when the new Acolyte float rod(s?) was due and was told to keep an eye on the website in "November".
Thanks Chris, I was actually thinking it might be something lighter, let's see what will come up.

Thanks Chris, I was actually thinking it might be something lighter, let's see what will come up.
Crumbs, not sure a lighter acolyte would be a big seller! It was me who emailed Drennan (unless Chris knows someone else that bored and nerdy).

The plus and the ultra both have relatively fast tips with the real difference being lower down towards the first joint and below
This is where the plus starts to have more resistance to bending and I’d say this additional resistance feels to me roughly around 20% more.

The plus is a far more useful rod imo because it will do everything apart from the most extreme.
The tip is fast enough and soft enough to comfortably bring a bag full of roach to the net yet the middle and lower sections are beefy enough to bring a barbel out of the main flow with patience and space.
If there is any weight difference between them it’s single figure digits and not even worth considering.

I’d only chose an ultra over a plus if I was choosing a dedicated rod for fish up to 3/4lb maximum to simply maximize the rod and get the best out of it. While both are happy bringing 12oz fish to a net, the ultra is doing it in it’s sweet spot and more of a pleasure, the plus will want another pound on it to feel equally as sweet.

If acolyte were to bring out an SU plus model for lines up to 8lb in 13/14/15 and a 17 plus model, i don’t think there would be a logical reason to use any other brand of rod for float fishing. No finer way to spend £200-250 in my opinion
Nice overall review Richard 👍

I know they're hard to come by but I loved the Drennan im9 classic 13ft.... Just brought the finesse version for dace Roach fishing when I come to committing my time to them.

@Christian Tyroll how you still finding the rod ?

What made you go for that over the plus ?

Hi Daniel

I've given it a good bit of use now and really like it. I went for the carp waggler over a plus only because they did it in 11 and 12ft although I have been told they are pretty much the same? I wanted it to be 2 piece so I could leave it set up for using on a canal.

The rod has been great, as expected it is exceptionally light. I'm happy I went for the carp waggler instead of an ultra, when holding a 3/4lb chub back from a boat rudder or landing stage the rod has got a proper bend in it and doesn't feel over-gunned. I can still feel a 2lb perch boring about and trying to stay deep, it's not so powerful as to rob the fish of its fight although no doubt could handle fish a lot bigger.

Hi Daniel

I've given it a good bit of use now and really like it. I went for the carp waggler over a plus only because they did it in 11 and 12ft although I have been told they are pretty much the same? I wanted it to be 2 piece so I could leave it set up for using on a canal.

The rod has been great, as expected it is exceptionally light. I'm happy I went for the carp waggler instead of an ultra, when holding a 3/4lb chub back from a boat rudder or landing stage the rod has got a proper bend in it and doesn't feel over-gunned. I can still feel a 2lb perch boring about and trying to stay deep, it's not so powerful as to rob the fish of its fight although no doubt could handle fish a lot bigger.
Fab ! I like that sound of it a few people have said that now and having a two piece does make it more user friendly.

I’ve had such a pants season yet 2 pound perch and 3/4lb chub have been no where near me 😂 but that being said I’ve struggled to get out half as much this year.

Fab ! I like that sound of it a few people have said that now and having a two piece does make it more user friendly.

I’ve had such a pants season yet 2 pound perch and 3/4lb chub have been no where near me 😂 but that being said I’ve struggled to get out half as much this year.

Always goes in cycles doesn't it :)

Back