• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Acolyte distance feeder rod

Kevin Siddle

Hi folks, I’m hoping someone out there may have experience with these rods. I’m wondering if they would stand up to the rigours of the Trent in summer at normal levels fishing for barbel. I’m not talking about up 10 feet and banging through. I like the idea of being able to use a longer rod and the choice is limited? Thanks in anticipation. Kevin

I have both the 13 and 14ft and love them, I use them on the Severn and the extra length is great with a bit of water on and fishing the feeder to far Bank. They have easily coped with barbel to the average size of 6/7Ibs on the stretch but I don’t think they have the backbone to cope with anything much bigger/more powerful especially in snaggy swims and extra water….or at least I would prefer not to use them in that situation! For general feeder work they will Chuck a 2oz/3oz/4oz feeder all day, show sensitive bites to chub and roach etc and tame a typical Severn shoal fish ….like most accys they are a pure joy when playing fish. Only gripe I have with them is the quiver ratings…IMO the Ozs are overrated but I believe you can buy higher ratings. I’m pretty sure there is a drennan video on one of their channels where it is used on the Trent (might be wrong)
I paired mine up with a daiwa tourno reel …the pairing is a pure joy.

Hi Alan. Thanks for the reply. I am a little concerned re larger fish!!
I certainly wouldn’t target larger specimens with it. Might well be fine if you hooked a rogue one but I just wouldn’t want to take the risk myself. General feeder work for up to good/medium sized fish they’re great….if you want to target doubles there are better tools out there. Might be worth considering getting something made by a rod builder to suit your needs, I think mark Tunley does long feeder rods??

I hear from match fishing friends that they’re a pit poker like. I was thinking about something with a bit more finesse. Maybe I’m better just sticking with my lighter barbel rods. I have a pair of 2.25 Torrix which I’ve advertised and to be honest they’re sensitive in the tip but with a great playing action. I just wish they were a foot longer.

These are new on the market

I hear from match fishing friends that they’re a pit poker like.

That's exactly what I was told by an England international match fisherman and former retailer. Someone whose views I respect as being common-sensical.

These are new on the market
Thanks Jason, no doubt they'll be better than the standard power feeder but an awful lot of money for a pair! Thanks for taking the time to let me know though.

That's exactly what I was told by an England international match fisherman and former retailer. Someone whose views I respect as being common-sensical.
Not in my experience…might feel like that in the shop but that’s the stiffness of the blank to get the feeders chucked at distance with accuracy ….get a fish on and it bends lovely like other accys

Not in my experience…might feel like that in the shop but that’s the stiffness of the blank to get the feeders chucked at distance with accuracy ….get a fish on and it bends lovely like other accys
Think you’ve misunderstood, we’re saying the freespirit is a bit pokerish not the acolyte

Back