• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A rod for my boy...

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

My little boy is 7 and has started fishing with me at the lake. I'd really like to get him a little rod that he can float fish with.

Back when I was his age I had a little 8-9 foot rod from Woolworths that fitted the bill perfectly.

Is there anything of reasonable quality around these days?

Cheers,

Andy

About that age I started my daughters with 3-4m whips that I elasticated, Leeda XL if I remember correctly, saves having to cast with a reel, fairly chaep from Chapmans
Leeda Telescopic Whip – Chapmans Angling or already elasticated Leeda Elasticated Tele Whips – Chapmans Angling. You then have the option of removing a section if it's jus too long at the moment. My eldest then moved on to a 10 foot John Wilson float rod with a closed face reel.

Thinking about it, my daughters have lost interest in fishing, so the whips are gathering dust, probably not worth posting them, not sure how far you are from Southampton, might be able to arrange a handover if you're interested?

Decent rods for kids are few and far between. I ended up making my own by taking the top 2 sections of a 12' 3 piece match rod, fitting a short handle to the mid section and re-spacing the guides. There are a few short rods starting to appear on the market these days so it may be worth looking at something like this: TFGear Compact All Rounder Rod (8-10ft) | GO Outdoors
Not sure what it's like but length wise it's about right.

Drennan spincast maybe worth a look.

Decent rods for kids are few and far between. I ended up making my own by taking the top 2 sections of a 12' 3 piece match rod, fitting a short handle to the mid section and re-spacing the guides. There are a few short rods starting to appear on the market these days so it may be worth looking at something like this: TFGear Compact All Rounder Rod (8-10ft) | GO Outdoors
Not sure what it's like but length wise it's about right.

That TFG All Rounder is a nice little rod & very versatile.
I'd probably go for a whip / margin pole though, depending upon the size of fish likely to be encountered.

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies and the offer of the whip Garry :)

I had a dig around my garage and managed to find my second rod, a Shakespear 1810. Very basic it it could still do the job... I've had a nice little 9ft Shakespeare match rod recommended for 15 quid so I may push the boat out if the little chap copes well with my old rod...

Thanks again for the advice and the offers.

Regards,

Andy F

I started my kids on short poles/whips and then progressed to light float rods.
If you go for too short a rod they become difficult to cast and play fish on, the one thing they all loved was a centrepin as it was so simple to use when swinging a float out and playing fish.
10 to 11 foot avon rod and a centrepin is a cracking combination to move onto but I would suggest a whip to start with and a rod rest so they don't wave it about too much :eek:

Andy, and now the everlasting memories begin mate, the wonderment and imagination of a lake or pond and what lurks beneath it, the excitement and total recall of catching his 1st fish, that moment of feeling the struggle for life on the rodtop as the fish wriggles and the total amazement of him holding his 1st catch:):):):):):):)
heheheheh back to days of minnow and bleak bashing returns once more and you can return to your childhood then wonderfully surprised and unstoppable enthusiasm when he catches his 1st mighty gudgeon:eek::), then dace,roach and many more species but finding the real amazement and wonder when the
strength and power of the BIG GUDGEON is caught:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
that time when your hooked for life on barbel:):):) you,ve found it, i found it, we,ve all found it:):):):):):) enjoy the lads amazement mate, absolute magical time
:):):):):):):):):)

Back