• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A Question. Is there an answer? Floods.

People blame all things for the demise of the barbel, be it loss of habitat, abstraction and pollution or predation, so without wishing to get into a heated debate, here is my basic opinion, based on scientific evidence, anecdotal evidence, and personal experience .

If the rivers were perfect, the habitat was sound, no pollution, no abstraction, we would still be in the same position or maybe worse, the problem is simple to me, we reached a point about 5 years ago on various rivers, where the killing of female barbel due to predation (otters) was not sustainable, I keep saying this, male barbel out number the females, by about 10 to 1, or as low as 7 to 1, so on a stretch of river that contains 200 barbel at best 28 will be female, and maybe 10 will be sexually mature, and maybe 5 or 6 in double figures, an otter in a matter of weeks/ months at best could clear out the sexually mature females, the bigger females are easier for the otter to catch, they may be singular or in tiny pods of 2 or 3 fish. Male barbel live for about 7 years maximum and get to about 7lb in weight, Females if unmolested can live for 20 plus years and reach weights way beyond a male, so thats why we are seeing barbel numbers in a state of collapse on a national scale.

The last survey on the Teme basically showed there was nothing really wrong with the river, accept that there were not enough barbel, fewer male and female barbel are coming up from the Severn to spawn as they used to and stay in the river, yes a number males are getting into the river because of their bigger numbers, they remain on the spawning areas waiting in vain for the females to arrive, but they never do, so there is little spawning going on, because the females have reduced so dramatically to the point of zero recovery, its too late now.

Even if we got rid of all the otters, I doubt if I would see change in my remaining life time of say 25 years.

Midland rivers that have got barbel populations, though in critical decline, are the Wye, the Severn, The Teme, Warks Avon, the Arrow, In fact I dont know of one river that has or had Indigenous or stocked (donated barbel) barbel populations that isnt in decline.

But we now see these same rivers bursting at the seams with mini chub, why?

Because the big barbel in numbers have been critically reduced, the otter are now is turning their attentions on other big singular species like the pike, the perch and the chub, anything above 2lb is fair game, hence the boom in chub below 2lbs, the otter has not only taken the big barbel, it is now changing the demographics of most rivers by targeting other species, what we see with the Teme, is a blueprint for most other shallow small rivers, most lower severn barbel above Tewkesbury spawned at Diglis/river Teme and Teme mouth, the very hunting ground that otters focus on for 4 months of the year.

I know I will be pilloried for these comments, its happened long before this post, but myself and a few others did predict this scenario, the scene is set and there is nothing we can do, as I said it's too late.

Over the last 5 years we have seen a huge increase in large chub on the river Severn where 5lb chub barely raise an eyebrow these days, but this won't last, we are starting to see many large chub with otter wounds....as I said all this is only my opinion.

Hi Lol. Yes your views are well known and respected.

However. That doesn't account for the sudden change on the Lower Severn from this time last year to now.

With all my contacts the change has so far been dramatic. Good anglers fishing 5 or far more sessions even overnighters without a single barbel. Some would have had 20 or more by now.
As you know, I and pals often fish opposite bank to your members. Others fish up and downstream a bit.

What has caused this sudden change?

My initial thought was a second spawning and many up at Diglis. Not sure now

I can understand your concern Graham, I have have fished the lower Severn and Teme for its big barbel for 30 years and the lower Severn is a notoriously and historically a late starter, due to barbel of all sizes hanging around Digils and Teme mouth until the first push of water drops them down to their winter haunts and yes 2nd and 3rd spawning rituals can take place, but if my theory is correct, regarding the demise of large female barbel, it has to show up somewhere and the tipping point reached, initially in anglers catches I would have thought, there has been a steady decline in lower Severn barbel fishing, but I think the barbel are pretty safe from otter predation once they drop from the diglis area, with the depth of water giving sanctuary from the otter, apparently Otters can only spend a relatively short time submerged and have difficulty with deep water, but whilst they are on the spawning areas barbel are very very vulnerable, I know last year around Teme mouth, some very large fish were found on the bank and in some instances on footpaths with their guts ripped out.

I am pretty sure there will be always barbel in the Severn, but the middle Severn is the same, with only the spawning and nursery areas producing fish, lots of areas in between appear to be short on barbel, matches around Bridgnorth and Bewdley are now being won with chub, roach, dace, bream and perch, with only the occasional barbel in the catch, some anglers are applauding this and stating its bought skill back into the competition scene because float fishing is now the favourite method and even Pole fishing is coming into the matches, but be in no doubt, the very same cause for the barbels demise will focus on their new favoured species before long.

I hope I am wrong Gra and ultimately things change for the better...

I fish the bristol Avon and there are very few small fish and pockets of big fish from 8lb to to mid doubles, i fished my local stretch for one fish of 12lb last season and from reports from people i know there were no fish below 8lb at all.
Andy

Double spawning this year imo, summer like spring ,and reasonable summer, whats the saying" make hay while the sun shines,"( or babies)
Regards

There you go, a great PHD project for a university student, put a radio tracker in a number of Barbel on a couple of stretches of River Severn or other river that has heavy floods. Get some funding from the EA maybe. Then have monitor stations upstream and downstream and a mobile tracking unit to find their exact location.Then give all the results to me. 😁 😁 Back in the 80's I met a Salmon tracker on the Royalty tracking Salmon that had been net caught at Mudeford up the Stour and Avon. I had an 18lb Female in my swim according to the bleeps.

There you go, a great PHD project for a university student, put a radio tracker in a number of Barbel on a couple of stretches of River Severn or other river that has heavy floods. Get some funding from the EA maybe. Then have monitor stations upstream and downstream and a mobile tracking unit to find their exact location.Then give all the results to me. 😁 😁 Back in the 80's I met a Salmon tracker on the Royalty tracking Salmon that had been net caught at Mudeford up the Stour and Avon. I had an 18lb Female in my swim according to the bleeps.
Already been done 2 years ago on the Teme, by Dr Katie Guttman Roberts, funded by the EA, Severn rivers trust and the The Barbel Society ... it basically told us there isnt much wrong with the Teme other than there arent many barbel....

And that Dave Masons barbel on the Upper Teme had been washed away with the floods.

On second thoughts...that wasn't part of the Survey.

Back