• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

a question for the pole fishing gurus !!

Sam Lloyd

Hi guys,

Firstly the pole I have is a Shimano Technium 1300 AR. As far as I am aware this is Shimanos entry level pole. The butt section on my pole is parallel, which normally allows you to use a small half meter extension. My question is, if I was to buy a second butt second, to extend the length of the pole, would the pole be able to cope? I've seen this is quite a frequent thing to do with high end poles, but I'm not sure if an entry level model would be able to cope under the additional stress?
Any thoughts would be appreciated !

Hi sam,

If your pole is 13mtrs which by the name I Gues it is, then I would think it will cope fine with an extra but section.
How does the pole feel when it's at full length? If its sagging and feeling heavy then it may not take more length.
If it feels stiff and comfortable to fish with then I think you will be fine.
Hope this helps

Thank you for the reply Karl. Yes it's a 13 metre pole. It doesn't sag a great deal at all and isn't too heavy at full length. I think I might risk it :) Certainly easier than buying another pole....

Karl is spot on. All that's likely to happen is that the pole will sag more and become heavy and more difficult to hold for longer periods. Whether that's acceptable will be up to you.

Hi Sam, i used to do quite a bit of pole fishing, ( but now prefer rod/rivers ) I too had a 13 meter pole, ( maver ), i bought 2 extra sections to take it upto 16 meters, it did make the pole heavier, and hard to hold for long periods. I invested about £15 i think on a device called the " clever claw ". this attatched to the back leg of your seatbox, and took all the weight of the pole. A great little invention/investment. have a look at this youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUidEb5FEjE

Last edited:
Also depends what you want to use the pole for. If its pleasure fishing just to reach the odd island here or there then the extensions will be fine, the clever claw Derek's talking about works well. If its match fishing though you'd be better trying to get hold of a pole built for the length, will be far better balanced and much easier to fish with.

Thanks for the pole support advise guys, but I have a Preston spray bar so that's already catered for :D I use the pole for both match fishing (only club matches) and pleasure.
Before I had the spray bar, holding the pole at full length for a four/five hour match was no trouble so I think I will be ok taking it to 14.5m from what you guys have said. It was more the stress on the pole than me I was worried about :eek::D

Thanks for the pole support advise guys, but I have a Preston spray bar so that's already catered for :D I use the pole for both match fishing (only club matches) and pleasure.
Before I had the spray bar, holding the pole at full length for a four/five hour match was no trouble so I think I will be ok taking it to 14.5m from what you guys have said. It was more the stress on the pole than me I was worried about :eek::D

Okay, forget the claw and get yerself a girdle, :D that extra section makes a big difference. :)

The pole should be fine.

Back