• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A Proper Camera

Hi David, I have a Canon SX50 which wasn't cheap but it has a flip screen and a fantastic zoom lens on it which enables you to take long range wildlife shots whilst your fishing. Have a wireless remote for self portraits which is essential as timer self takes are often poor. It's a bit bulky but its a great piece of kit.

Nick C

Great thread guys, I'm in the market for a camera with flip screen and this has definitely given me food for thought.

for those , like me , not wanting to carry a bulky dslr or that style .........

take a look at the samsung PL120

its a compact , very compact , with a front facing screen to help with the self shots
works on a timer with 3 options , i prefer the 10 seconds that takes another shot 2 secs after the first

picked up on ebay for around £40

its a very good fishing camera in my book

Some may find it too bulky but i find it great..... I have got the Canon G1X. I cannot recommend it highly enough and the picture quality is amazing.

Even though i have not used it myself - there is a wink (yes wink) self-timer setting. Set yourself - wink and this triggers the self timer. Think there is also a smile detector too.

The only slight criticism is that the macro settings are not great but this does not cause much of a problem for me.

Do any of the later G series (ie more recent models) come with a remote? I always had a remote with the old Olympus MJU series which did a good job. It seems fewer compacts come with a remote these days, and i'd rather not have to use a bulb release. Some of the newer models have a programmable timer so you can set 10 shots to fire off at 5 second intervals after a 20 second wait, but it seems to be unclear whether the camera will re-focus between shots.

any thoughts on the Canon eos 600d ?

Dean, I have the eos 500 they are fantastic but a bit too bulky and expensive for chucking in the bottom of a rucksack. I have a samsung compact 15 megapixel small and lightweight which takes some good pics it was from argos and cost about £75 a couple of years back.

any thoughts on the Canon eos 600d ?

I have the 650d which is pretty similar. Best purchase I've made as it's a joy to use for everyday photography.
However, I struggle with the night time self takes due to either the fish or me being out of focus. I've found adjusting the aperture to about 8.0 with an ISO of 400 I seem to remember (slower shutter) helps. I've given up on the remote and rely on the 10 second timer, but also use the AEB feature to take three shots under different exposures.
Dean, PM me and I will email you some shots if you like.

Back