• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A New Season is upon us, but what will you do differently?

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
As the title suggests, what are you doing different this year? New river, new swim? The possibilities are endless.

Myself, I've been prebaiting a for two weeks now with minimal bait. I do have a new venue to go at but it will be if and when.
So , from last year are you going to change anyway you fish? Are you going to continue as you were? ?

Definitely going to experiment with much longer hooklinks, up to five or six feet. Also backleading which I need to look into more.

Definitely going to be pinning the mainline down above the lead as I think some "chub pulls" I experienced last season were liners form barbel. Also going to be trying the swims everyone walks past as most of the waters I fish are getting very pressured.

I will be doing something completely different this year

After 54 years of Carp angling Im now in my 70s and I am going to start properly fishing for Barbel in my twilight years and I just cant wait Im like a dog with 2 tails

Going to give the Gt Ouse "above Bedford" another crack, but will also have the chub in mind as they seem to be packing on weight these days...must be all of those crays they are munching on.....

Going to try and fish some "new" swims.

The season just gone I fished some random swims across a couple of different sections of river and caught more than I had in the previous couple of seasons. I got caught in the trap of fishing the same few swims all the time (albeit ones I have caught from previously).

And I have also noticed a pattern forming - certain boilies seem to be working better than others at different stages of the season.

Boilie A seems to work for the first month or two, Boilie B from September to December and Boilie C through the winter to the end of the season.

I'm definitely going to experiment more with this theory this coming season. Although this may seem a coincidence, this has also been the case for my fishing buddy who I fish with every week so I think there is definitely something in it.

Going to try and fish some "new" swims.

The season just gone I fished some random swims across a couple of different sections of river and caught more than I had in the previous couple of seasons. I got caught in the trap of fishing the same few swims all the time (albeit ones I have caught from previously).

And I have also noticed a pattern forming - certain boilies seem to be working better than others at different stages of the season.

Boilie A seems to work for the first month or two, Boilie B from September to December and Boilie C through the winter to the end of the season.

I'm definitely going to experiment more with this theory this coming season. Although this may seem a coincidence, this has also been the case for my fishing buddy who I fish with every week so I think there is definitely something in it.

With carp I have found there is a definite pattern with colours at different times of the year winter time they prefer bright colours then dark colours in the summer not saying they wont get caught on other colours just not as many

Every year I tell myself that I shouldn't be so narrow-minded when it comes to my summer/autumn angling and every year I find myself fishing almost exclusively for barbel once again. I suspect that nothing will change this coming season.

The Yorkshire rivers that I have access to are fishing as well as I've known so I feel the urge to make the most of it while the going is good.

Well let me say to all that know and those that dont, after breaking my neck in a freak accident in hawaii, things are going ok, the doctors have released me from my neck brace,and my feeling and strength is coming back to my arms and hands,so i wont be doing anything different, i,ll just be happy to get down the dove and try to do a bit,
Regards jim

Blooming heck Jim.:(
Glad to hear you are on the mend.

And understand just being there is a real plus. Enjoy your season.

To make the most of being self employed and have some days off in the week to go fishing (will still tell the missus I'm going to work though. Sssh don't tell her).

After next week I'm off to Florida and only back two days before the river season starts so, apart from opening day, I'll be making up for missed tenching time through June and July, hope that they've switched on by then because so far they haven't been very obliging for me!

Been thinking about this one. For the first month I'm going to alternate fishing with giant hemp as a main attractor with tares or maggot on the hook. This is on the tidal Trent TT, I know the maggot works but Tares will too.

Hi Jon, i once bought a sack of giant hemp, it was an absolute bugger to split, tried everything, soaking, boiling, bicarb, all the usual things. The few that did split, i used for hookers. No better results than the normal smaller stuff. Lets know how you get on if you give it a go, cheers, Derek.

Back