• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A Lack of Interest

Likewise Dave, i feel health plays a big part. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees in march 08 and it is getting worse. For someone who used to rove the lower severn for what felt like miles; it does make you feel a bit despondent and even carrying tackle to distant swims and sitting for the whole session can be off putting. I now try to travel as light as possible even for static sessions. The driving can also wear you down after many years. Personally ive caught enough big barbel to satisfy my general hunger, i do still lust after a monster or two, but this usually involves fishing tough venues for long periods with little to show for it. This also can be hard on motivation. I dont think it does any harm to stop and re-charge the batteries and try to get some inspiration by doing something else or fishing for something else.

Paul

I agree guys. I've got three little kids and am a working musician. I need to practice loads(atleast 3 hours a day + teach) and play with the kids and spend time with my wife. My work is in the afternoons/evenings mostly and she works during the day. In the summer months when the days are longer i can get away more and atleast one of the kids wants to come. This time of year its mostly sundays. My wife tells me to go but to be honest when it comes to it i'd rather relax with a few pints on sunday afternoon with a good roast dinner in my belly. Thing is when it comes to midway through a sunday afternoon i think to myself i bet the barbel will be feeding soon and long for a quiet scenic piece of river, I constantly think i'd love to be out there. I keep thinking of that screeming pin but still dont get out there! Is it a form of masochism?
I think i'll have to watch the winter passion for angling episode to get me in the mood ;)
Its a beautiful time of year to be out too!

Richie

Excellent choice of method Chris but not very species selective though :( you may well turn up the odd bonus double figure barbel though :D

Rest assured, it's a stillwater with only the tiniest chance of barbel. They certainly haven't ever been put in there deliberately.;)

Blues

If your river is not too far away from you abode, then try short sessions - a couple of hours. After you have blanked, you don't feel too guilty of a wasted day and you can still get some painting in!

I find it hard to motivate myself to do much at all in the winter months. It's dark when you leave home for work and still dark when you leave work for home. Short roving sessions with a quiver and nothing but a tub of lobs can bring rewards though and help to keep the interest alive.
No more sitting for hours in the freezing cold though the body just cannot take it.
Adrenalin doesn't pump as much during the winter like it used to. Time to stay home get immersed in the rugby and enjoy other things. A good malt springs to mind!!

My motivator, simples, i just think of all the unfinished jobs around the house. :p No contest. A bad day on the river is better than a good day with a paint brush. ;)

My motivator, simples, i just think of all the unfinished jobs around the house. :p No contest. A bad day on the river is better than a good day with a paint brush. ;)

Different philosophy in our house, my Mrs knows that if she wants anything done in the house then its during the close season. Come 16th June - forget it. Had to chuckle last weekend as she was writing up birthdays etc on next year's wall calendar, she asked me when the close season was so she could write it on! And she lets me keep bait in the fridge.:)

Errr...exactly what is 'a good day with a paint brush'?...I am sure my wife could enlighten me, but I would rather not stir that particular hornets nest :D

Cheers, Dave.

I have the odd good day with a paintbrush.... as long as I ain't doing any decorating.

Back