• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

a gallon of hemp on the kitchen floor

Neil Partridge

well there i was earlier preparing a nice gallon of hemp for the weekend, it was all cooked/split & looking good so i thought i'd start to bag it up when whallop, i dropped the bl**dy lot, all over the kitchen floor. :eek:
pot full of water & hemp everywhere. :(
ive just finished getting it up after well over an hour.
i know its not really barbel related (well it is in a way i suppose) but i thought you would like a little laugh & maybe pass on your little fishing mishaps too.

Had a few pts of maggots escape a few times..... best (or worst) was when we were living in a 3 story town house in bridgE.

The tackle was stored in the very top of the house, and this is where I had my bait fridge/freezer.
Maggots got into the wall cavity and eventually into next doors house......

Good luck with the hemp.....

Last edited:
My Mrs walked in tonight and kicked my ass, not happy as i had 2 of her pans on the hob full of hemp for the weekend. Not sure what peeeed her off the most, the pans or the smell:D

Feel for you Neil. It's the compounded grief I'd get from the Mrs too & that a blemish on the opposite side of the kitchen is hemp spillage related ie just a ploy to end up with a kitchen scrubbed from top to bottom.

Not necessarily bait related - I have a multi compartment box containing everything from a variety of shot, swivels, beads well everything that is less than 5mm on one dimension.

Fishing in long grass a few weeks back making a rig up with this box on my lap, had a take, everything went flying. Not the first time this has happened but when you add the value of these small items up, one does not get that much for a small fortune & the time it takes to unsuccessfully look for these items like looking for nits in a shag pile carpet.

Cheers, Jon

oh man, isnt it worse thing when your box(s) of bits go over & your right they aint cheap either.
i only have myself to worry about though nowadays so the house is my own worry etc.

Jason, drives me nuts that my mrs moans about using her pans for hemp too. The hemp is soaked & its just akin to boiling rice, pulses, etc. What's the difference?

She complains about the smell from the bait & then brings in her mangy dog wet from being walked. Jesus!!

I soak my hemp in a cooler box, for a day or so, then transfer it into a 5 gallon pot, then cook it over my duel fuel burner for half an hour in my garage. No drama, no grief, lots of peace and quiet.

Way to go Jon. A man who always talks a lot of sense.

I don't get in too much trouble for cooking them, but I was in a world of trouble when I left a small bag of them in a top cupboard in the kitchen and forgot all about them. The tiny brown beetle like weevils that hatched out and eventually got into EVERY bag, pot, tub and box in the entire kitchen cost me a small fortune in replacement stuff :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

Jon, your too organised - don't know how you do it or muster the energy so...

I presoak the hemp but it still comes into the kitchen to finish it off - I did it before so will still do it now. I wonder how long that'll be before the next compromise.

Another bait spillage - a big bag of dry crushed halli pellet broke in the boot of an old car & I left it for a few days before cleaning it up & only then did a half baked job with the powder entrained into the fabric, nooks & cranny's. The boot seal was not too good letting in water & across the course of a couple of weeks the car got progressively more rotten. Almost put me off me cigs but at least no one wanted to cadge a lift home...

My worst mishap was having several stone of mackerel deadbaits packed in ice defrost in my car while driving back from the docks with them. Their blood soaked into everything, and ruined the car. It was only a couple of years old and I had to strip the it down completely. That was 15 years ago but I bet it still stinks of rotten mackerel.

Then there is the redecoration scenario...

I was producing some fly-tying dubbing to make a fluorescent pink shrimp pattern for Icelandic salmon and Argentine sea-trout...

I first Clairol Ultra Blue bleached an entire fox pelt, removing its red-brown-grey coloration, rendering it creamy honey-gold.

Then I scissored and shaved about a quarter of the pelt.

Then dyed that fur in an old one-gallon saucepan of water and half a teaspoonful of that Agent Orange of all flytyers' dyes - Gordon Griffiths Fluorescent Pink flytyers' dye - dyed at just below simmering on the kitchen stove.

Then I sieved the pan's contents, filled the 2-litre glass jug of a powerful domestic liquidizer with some of the fur, then hit on the "On" switch.

Entire kitchen deeply and permanently dyed fluourescent pink in seconds: I had forgotten to put the jug's lid on.

I redecorated the kitchen, then decamped to Argentina, only returning 8 weeks later.

I once left a gallon of maggots in my ex wifes car, when she was dropping me off at a railway station to go to work for the next week or so. I was meant to feed them to the fish at a pond on the way. We had an argument and i forgot, imagine her surprise in the morning. My ears still ring from that day, she even broke the hoover grying to hooover them out lol

i just found a bait box in my shed which i'd put some fresh boilies in about 2 weeks ago and forgotten to bin after a session. a thick grey fog like gas came out as i opened the lid....minging....

Back