• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A folding shake and dry landing net is on its way

Peter Robinson

After all the interest in the bargain Dinsmore landing net,I and several others bought one.:)Then what happens.Wychwood launch a folding D shaped specimen net with shake and dry mesh.:mad:It will be available in two sizes,25 and 30 inches,rrp £19.99 and £24.99.Don't know when it will hit the shops,but if its up to the job strengthwise,it should be popular.In this weeks Anglers Mail p.31.

Thats great news. Always wanted a folding rubberised net.

Thanks

Jon

Korum are doing a 27" and 30" folding spoon net to add to the 22" already available; out October according to a catalogue I received yesterday. Will have to compare when both hit the shops.

Not shake and dry, but a bargain folder in either 28 or 32 for around £15. I also have the 24. They have been out for some time, green net.
Been using for 1.5 seasons and seen some doubles. So far stood up to some rough treatment, despite the plastic spreader. Make sure them arms are located in the block! Replaced the elasticated cord with non elasticated stuff.

ABU folder picture:

abufolder.jpg

The ABU triangular is a bargain as well.

Bob

PS: 60cm (24") and 70cm (28") on ebay for £18.07 including postage.

I have the Abu net ! And used it now for three seasons and is still going strong !!
But I must admit I like the new korum folding spoon net ! Will defo be having a look at one !! It would be nice to have a stink bag again !

Thanks Bob.I do have the Abu,but would welcome the shake and dry capability of the Wychwood.Regarding the Korum,my local tackle shop has had a few returned due to breakage which steered me in the direction of the Abu,which as you've said has been around for a while and is tried and tested.

I bought the dinsmore net and it arrived today. This is going to sound rather boastful but it looks a bit small to me. I am trying to imagine a big Loddon double and I think it will be a tight squeeze. More worryingly the net cord came away with a loud crack when I was trying to get the net in the spreader block. On inspection it is only held in by a small knot. Should be fixable but potentially disastrous if it happens when netting a whopper.

Steve

Not shake and dry, but a bargain folder in either 28 or 32 for around £15. I also have the 24. They have been out for some time, green net.
Been using for 1.5 seasons and seen some doubles. So far stood up to some rough treatment, despite the plastic spreader. Make sure them arms are located in the block! Replaced the elasticated cord with non elasticated stuff.

ABU folder picture:

abufolder.jpg

The ABU triangular is a bargain as well.

Bob

PS: 60cm (24") and 70cm (28") on ebay for £18.07 including postage.
Hi Bob,
i have had this type of net for many years, the spreader block is the same as the one that i have, care should be taken and the arms must be firmly pushed into the block otherwise the net collapses, it was first marketed by Bob Church, although i do not use this net anymore, it is ok, the biggest problem that i found with this type of spreader block is if you are landing a fish and you snag the net on the bankside vegitation, this is when the net is prone to collapse, there is also another net that has appeared on the market, this is made by Rovex, the spreader block is exactly the same, again £14.99.
They also market this net as a 30 inch Barbel net, but the net mesh is not suitable for a very fast river, it is too fine.
Brian.

Hi Bob,
i have had this type of net for many years, the spreader block is the same as the one that i have, care should be taken and the arms must be firmly pushed into the block otherwise the net collapses, it was first marketed by Bob Church, although i do not use this net anymore, it is ok, the biggest problem that i found with this type of spreader block is if you are landing a fish and you snag the net on the bankside vegitation, this is when the net is prone to collapse, there is also another net that has appeared on the market, this is made by Rovex, the spreader block is exactly the same, again £14.99.
They also market this net as a 30 inch Barbel net, but the net mesh is not suitable for a very fast river, it is too fine.
Brian.
My thought too, has a nasty habit in strong currents of the net collapsing when pointing downstream. Not very good when you have a angry Trent Barbel reaqdy to land in the other hand.

Bought the abu net this year from woody,s in Hereford,he said all the lads down there use them.Up to now it,s been fine,and landing my pb of 12lb 10oz recently:D.My only gripe is it doesn't fold completely, so I have to put it in its original bag,and sandwich it between my chair.

Hi Brian,
Yes, agree about the arms being firmly located in the spreader - hence my comment about 'make sure them arms are located in the block'. Also found the elastic a bit 'givey' and replaced that.
If I was fishing fast water/floods etc then I'd use my own heavy spoon (built like the proverbial) net or a marginally cut down and modded Gardner spoon. I cut down the Gardner to make it more compact.
I have a home designed folding spoon that needs finishing, but time has been a bit limited for this sort of development.
Cheers
Bob

I will second that , collapse too easily usually at the worst possible moment . Shame really as otherwise they are a good net

Back