• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A fish for all seasons part 2

Again some footage of my old stomping ground, this time Malmesbury the 'free' Fire Station stretch, after Roach on the pole, he was just a bit off though on peg choice the best pegs were by the wall far bank, where you had to fish so tight to the wall you had to bounce the waggler off the wall. Some cracking Roach used to be had from there, and 2lb fish were common., alas you can guess the rest.
One memorable session when the boys were very young I below the weir, I was trotting for Roach and hooked up with a huge Brownie that if I remember went about 6 lbs, a young lad held it for a piccy and it was pinned to the local tackle shop 'hall of fame' for some time amongst all the local carp boys captures.
Because it was a park, the public used to engage in a chat, I remember one woman putting me right in how cruel fishing is. I said I cared for all wildlife, and asked her if she did, she said yes, which I replied that is just as well as you have a grass snake on your foot, her ice cream and her self were parted in a flash. :D

Fantastic - I didn't even know that part 1 was also available!

Again some footage of my old stomping ground, this time Malmesbury the 'free' Fire Station stretch, after Roach on the pole, he was just a bit off though on peg choice the best pegs were by the wall far bank, where you had to fish so tight to the wall you had to bounce the waggler off the wall. Some cracking Roach used to be had from there, and 2lb fish were common., alas you can guess the rest.
One memorable session when the boys were very young I below the weir, I was trotting for Roach and hooked up with a huge Brownie that if I remember went about 6 lbs, a young lad held it for a piccy and it was pinned to the local tackle shop 'hall of fame' for some time amongst all the local carp boys captures.
Because it was a park, the public used to engage in a chat, I remember one woman putting me right in how cruel fishing is. I said I cared for all wildlife, and asked her if she did, she said yes, which I replied that is just as well as you have a grass snake on your foot, her ice cream and her self were parted in a flash. :D

Neil - I fished there once in the mid-to-late 90s and, whilst I caught some lovely fish (although nothing anywhere near approaching 2lb), it was with an endless barrage of people going by. If I didn't have a general audience it was either groups of kids or the occasional person who had a problem with fishing. That, and a few other similar experiences I had further downstream at other free stretches in Bristol, put me right off urban fishing for life. Bewilders me how other anglers put up with it, let alone enjoy it. I never even fished the free bit in Bath town (below the weir, where Bowler fishes in part 1 - no fishing allowed there now I believe), despite having a good idea of where those elusive nomadic 30lb+ carp would be at any given time of the year as I used to cycle along the river to and from work every day for six or seven years.

Last edited:
Fantastic - I didn't even know that part 1 was also available!

Neil - I fished there once in the mid-to-late 90s and, whilst I caught some lovely fish (although nothing anywhere near approaching 2lb), it was with an endless barrage of people going by. If I didn't have a general audience it was either groups of kids or the occasional person who had a problem with fishing. That, and a few other similar experiences I had further downstream at other free stretches in Bristol, put me right off urban fishing for life. Bewilders me how other anglers put up with it, let alone enjoy it. I never even fished the free bit in Bath town (below the weir, where Bowler fishes in part 1 - no fishing allowed there now I believe), despite having a good idea of where those elusive nomadic 30lb+ carp would be at any given time of the year as I used to cycle along the river to and from work every day for six or seven years.
Yes I know what you mean regarding urban fishing, there are some major strange folk around that seem to gravitate to me ... But despite all that I am fascinated by urban fishing, I guess as a youth cycling from Bristol to Saltford and Keynsham was my thing, and it was a normal thing to do. The Urban Carp fishing thing fascinates me, catching carp in Bristol or Manchester docks, just adds to the mysterious unknown that lurks beneath the surface. I know that the Severn by Gloucester Docks hold a good head of Barbel, never actually cast a line there, but walked it and can see the potential.

Back