• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A few chub this morning...

James Hinley

I hope to one day put a post up about a barbel....but hey ho.

I had a wonderful chubbing session on a local river today. The weather was wild with heavy gusts and the odd shower. Walking to my peg, I fed with liquidised bread whilst setting up. Casting out a feeder of liquidised bread, and some smelly cheese paste on the hook, it didn't take long to start getting some indications. The first proper pull was missed, but second time round I hooked into a nice chub of 3lb 3oz
P1010767.jpg

I could have stayed in the swim and hope for another, but decided to move on. My second choice of swim involved casting out into the middle of the river, and allowing it to swing the bait in to the near bank under some overhanging trees. I then balled the bait in by hand. Again, it wasn't long until I hooked into something, and this time it felt bigger. I had to put a serious curve on the rod to keep the fish out the near bank, but eventually it grudgingly came over the net, and at 4lb 8oz was a new pb for me
P1010768.jpg

My last swim was a real birdcage, but by squeezing through some branches, I was able to cast out and let the bait swing in again underneath some overhanging trees. Same tactics as before, and this gave me my final chub of the day at 4lb 3oz - the end to a brilliant session.
P1010770.jpg

Hello Jim,
I was going to pop down there today but the wife kept moaning about me driving ther in the high winds so I called it off. river looks like it had dropped off nicely from yesterday, my mate tried it then and said it was very difficult and he didn't get a bite all day.

Funnily enough i had a wander up the bank to see if you were about - i think i'd read on a previous post somewhere that you were going to give it a go. The river was sock on - fining down nicely. You would have had a few...

I was supposed to be taking my son with me and to be honest the wind was gale force at home this morning and didn't really drop off till mid afternoon. I'm tempted to stick a half day hloiday in tomorrow and get out as the forecast isn't good for the back of next week either.
I was planning to go further down past the bend where there is a stretch of bushes on the far bank as it runs off to some deeper water under the bushes and i've always had fish off there. I've had chub to 5lb 120z off that stretch and would love to break the 6lb mark which I'm sure is possible.

Last edited:
One step at a time Stuart...i'm still trying to break the magical 5lb barrier! Cheers for the info though......that chub has my name on it now ;)

Managed three chub from Tewkesbury Mill Avon Tues pm, but they were not exactly wide spread, only one small area accessed by a float was all I could find a bite...nothing too big but great to put a bend in the rod again.

River up a couple of feet with colour dropping out, colder by Thursday and into weekend:(

A couple more chub from yesterday...i was secretly after barbel on the meat, but dont tell anyone!

P1010803.jpg

P1010802.jpg

Back