• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

94lb cat from Severn?

Well done Neil , I hooked one on the tidal trent 2 years ago and after 20 minutes or so it cut me off on a gravel bar

<edited by Andy Frances> I can't see the point in having an unprovoked stab at someone on this thread, it seems completely unnecessary. I've therefore removed the rest of this post. <edited by Andy Frances>

Whether they grow to 90lb or not, there are definitely a population of cats in the lower Severn.

Similar thing here near Holt Fleet, night fishing with my lad, he hooked into something like a barge on steroids never saw the fish, its happened twice since.

Giant cat terrorising lower Severn!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-15-23-07-11_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-15-23-07-11_1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 257
I took a photo of a 17lb cat for a lad at dale end Ironbridge around 10 years back. As someome who lives locally to one of the original cat lakes in the Uk the Withy pool in Telford ive seen them pop up all over the place around by me. This one doesnt surprise me at all, like others myself and mates have been done by things that we could do nothing with. Now some are carp i know as ive had them myself but when you are carping on 3lb rods etc and you nearly get spooled by something going upstream at 100mph you do wonder what was on the other end lol. Well done to the captor a great fish on barbel gear.

Coming from West Wales myself I well remember reading about this capture as a kid. Fantastic angling story, really well told in this version too. I don't know to this day if anyone has a rational explanation as to how that sturgeon got up the Towy in the first place. Are they migratory fish? Not sure about not having a mouth as the article says. I caught a 26 pounder in France on Elips and that was hooked fair and square in the mouth.

Great catch & would be interesting to find out what else is in our rivers, with the pet trade booming for exotic animal species then how long before we get something even more eye popping than a ton pound beast?

I know they've had channel catfish from the Trent as well. Couple of Wels caught from the Ure a few years back too.

Dave

Back