• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

8lb Berkley Fireline

David Maddison

Trying to get hold of this to load on to my new centrepin, but can only find the white braid in 8lb b.s. Has anyone used the white braid for trotting? Or can any of you guys recommend another brand which would be suitable. If the diameter is fine enough with 10lb b.s. i might consider using that with an 8lb mono link.

Trying to get hold of this to load on to my new centrepin, but can only find the white braid in 8lb b.s. Has anyone used the white braid for trotting? Or can any of you guys recommend another brand which would be suitable. If the diameter is fine enough with 10lb b.s. i might consider using that with an 8lb mono link.

I haven't got on with the lower b.s. braids. They are a bit like cotton, hard to break with a steady pull but easy to snap with a sudden pull. Mono is probably a better bet

I have used the white Braid, its promoted as crystal clear i think. Not a fan for the same reason as Jim says. However i did use mine for long range bream fishing, and found it had a flatish profile, and prone to getting picked up by the wind. I did try braid once on the pin for an afternoon and i hated it and didnt see one advantage over a good mono.

have used 8lbs & 6lbs fireline crystal on my centrepins for trotting now for well over 18 months and wouldnt use anything else now to be truthful. Once it has be used in so to speak its way better than mono and Ive been using mono for trotting for years but will never go back to it now.
as long as you add a 3ft length waterknotted onto the end of the crystal to take your tackle you wont go wrong.
It doesnt grate through the rings like other braids and Ive had chub and barbel up to 9lbs on the stuff & it hasnt let me down at all. Bit on the expensive side as I buy the 300metre spools but that fills a few reels for a season. 10/10 from me.

Thanks George, just googled it and it looks better than the original line. 8lb braid is just 0.15 diameter. Have you used it in snaggy swims? and how much would you load on to your pin?

Regards Dave

Last edited:
Thanks George, just googled it and it looks better than the original line. 8lb braid is just 0.15 diameter. Have you used it in snaggy swims? and how much would you load on to your pin?

Regards Dave
all depends on how far you want to trot with it, I only load my centrepins with around 60m, you dont require anything else if your trotting. Trotting is a mobile method and as that you dont require large amounts loaded onto your reel, it just causes bedding in and a whole host of other problems if you fill them with large amounts.

I have used this stuff in all sorts of different swims on the Ure, Swale, Tees and the Clyde and as I say it hasnt let me down yet.:)

all depends on how far you want to trot with it, I only load my centrepins with around 60m, you dont require anything else if your trotting. Trotting is a mobile method and as that you dont require large amounts loaded onto your reel, it just causes bedding in and a whole host of other problems if you fill them with large amounts.

I have used this stuff in all sorts of different swims on the Ure, Swale, Tees and the Clyde and as I say it hasnt let me down yet.:)

Thanks Again George for the help. Its good to get advice from an experienced angler. Just been looking at your floats, and i think i will have to treat myself to some now i finally have a pin! :) I hope your health improves in the new year.

All the best

Dave

Fireline is the braid equivalent to Daiwa Sensor for me. Lots of folks swear by the stuff, I can't stand it. I'll admit to never having tried float fishing with fireline though. Can't get past Ultima Flo-Cast for my trotting.

Fireline is the braid equivalent to Daiwa Sensor for me. Lots of folks swear by the stuff, I can't stand it. I'll admit to never having tried float fishing with fireline though. Can't get past Ultima Flo-Cast for my trotting.

You dont do much winter fishing chris if your still using ultima flo cast!! The stuff is absolutely **** in the cold I used it last year and all the threads unwound and it fell apart, I complained to Ultima about it and they said it wasnt designed to be used in such low temperatures!!! I laughed and flung it in the bin..:):)

You dont do much winter fishing chris if your still using ultima flo cast!! The stuff is absolutely **** in the cold I used it last year and all the threads unwound and it fell apart, I complained to Ultima about it and they said it wasnt designed to be used in such low temperatures!!! I laughed and flung it in the bin..:):)

George,
you are right enough that I don't do anywhere near the amount of winter trotting that you do. If and when I do it's likely to be a beck close to you that I do it;). However, I'm puzzled by the threads unwinding thing. I was under the distinct impression that Flo-Cast was a fancy mono and doesn't have any threads to unwind.:confused:

Its a spun line chris,with a hollow core if you take the end of it and twist it between your fingers you will get 1 or 2 strands coming away, but dont do it to your reel line use an offcut otherwise it will peel all the way back and you wont be able to stop it.

Ultima were quite adament that it was not designed for low temperatures, I said it should be pointed out to consumers and then they just started on about others line in their range at that point I hung up.

According to Ultima in the USA the line will fray and become less abrasion resistant when submitted to temperatures under 10 degrees celcius. A lot of Steelhead anglers who fish throughout the winter did what I done and threw it in the bin so ultima is not well liked over there.

I tend to listen to these anglers as Im out all year round in temperatures trotting and if they recommend a line I try it, I was recommended fireline crystal by a friend in New Jersey and now Ive used it for 18months wont go back to mono at all, its that good.

I wonder how they get away with calling it a monofilament?:confused:
I shall look out for it though, if I ever get out before I can't for a while.

Back