• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

7th Ousemeisters Barbel Challenge

Hi Mike, sorry but i can't make it, that most annoying thing of work is getting in the way.
Have a good one and good luck to all who attend

Leon

That's a shame. We'll try to pull a few out this time on your behalf!
Mike, change of plan for me, juggling things around means I will fish the entire session and also be involved in food and drink too! Looking forward to it!

Cheers all and look forward to Saturday.

Steve

PS - trophy will be brought with me!

Leon

That's a shame. We'll try to pull a few out this time on your behalf!
Mike, change of plan for me, juggling things around means I will fish the entire session and also be involved in food and drink too! Looking forward to it!

Cheers all and look forward to Saturday.

Steve

PS - trophy will be brought with me!

Thanks for the update Steve , see you Saturday

Update

Hello Folks . Currently we have 8 anglers who are attending tomorrow. Myself , Robin Bowes - fishing and food , Ken Jones - Fishing and food , Steve Fisher - fishing and food , Gavin Hoe -Richardson - fishing only , Spiros Papaglimis -fishing and food , Mike Lowrence - fishing and food , Mark Dyer -fishing and food .Gary [ Wagstaff ] you going to be able to make it ? If you could let me know I would appreciate it .

If any of the above is wrong please let me know a.s.a.p , my mobile no is 07882015618 . I think all of you probably know the way , but just in case . You need to head for Newton on Ouse approx 7 miles North of York off the A19 near Beninbrough Hall .Please park on the Grass verge on Back Lane Newton on Ouse ,[ do NOT park anywhere else ,this is important as it is a stipulation of the lease for the club ] . I will be around to welcome folks , If you get lost ring me .Meet on Back Lane grass verge for 12 noon , fishing is 1-7pm, so bring your torches as it will be dark by last knockings . The fishing is about 6 mins walk from the car parking to the top of the stretch , to end of the stretch approx 15 mins .We had 4-5 hrs virtually solid rain last evening which will inevitably have some impact on conditions , but I am confident we will be able to fish . I will check in the morning, if things look iffy in terms of high water I will post on BFW .NB , the pub where we will be eating only accepts cash and cheques for payment . I know it quaint , but that's how we are round here :) PS might be an idea if you would all text me your mobile numbers I can then ring / text you in the morning re conditions . If anyone else wants to come along you are more than welcome just let me know in advance rather than just showing up on the day

Last edited:
Hi all,

Mike has just called from the river bank. The Ouse has risen sharply overnight and is currently about 8-9 ft over NSL.

The Newton stretch is fishable, just, but bring your big leads and smelly baits.

See you all there at 12:00.

R.

Yep, agreed Mike, my peg number is some 20 feet into the river. You must have had SCUBA gear when pegging out!

Well the 7 hardy Ousemeisters who took on a very swollen Ouse had a grand day basking in the October sunshine . The river was about 9 foot up on NSL and carrying a lot of drifting debris . In the fish dept, first blood went to Mr Fisher who landed a plump 4lb 8oz barbel not long after kick off . Undaunted his neighbour Mike Lowrence fished out a very nice barbel of 8lb . It looked as if we may be on for a barbel bonanza ,unfortunately that was the sum total of the action . The Tommy Ruffe ,indeed all other species ,remained elusive . No matter, at dusk we retired to the pub for well deserved food and drink . It was a very convivial days angling in good company . Thanks to Newton AC for allowing us to use the stretch , and to Dave and Judy at the Black horse for the food and warm welcome .Well done to Mike . Heres to next year :D

Last edited:
Very well done Mike with that fish. A worthy winner. Hope you'll be posting the picture?

Many thanks to Mike for organising. A cracking day out (and evening in the pub!) as per usual. That T Bone steak was gorgeous!

Cheers all.

A great day and one I will remember for some time.
Thanks to Mike for organising it all and Steve for helping with the photo.
Looking forward to fishing, eating and drinking in good company again next year.
Cheers...
IMGP0073202.jpg
[/IMG]

Well done Mike, thats a cracking fish in good nick. I am booking next year as soon as the date is decided or pulling a sicky :p We will have to get out for a session before these frosts really slow the fishing down.
PS Had the week off to look after the wife after her op, and she has just told me i could have fished!! OH B****CKS!!!

Maddo

Last edited:
Thanks for superb organising Mike, I'll try not to be double booked next time so I can join you for afters in the pub!

You even organised some splendid Yorkshire weather.

I took a photo of my peg on arrival to show how far the river was up!

Ousepeg2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for superb organising Mike, I'll try not to be double booked next time so I can join you for afters in the pub!

You even organised some splendid Yorkshire weather.

I took a photo of my peg on arrival to show how far the river was up!

Ousepeg2.jpg

We aim to please Gavin . Your own beach , tide was in admittedly . Beautiful views of the Yorkshire landscape , friendly dog walkers to chat to . What better place to nurse a hangover :D

Back