• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

5 places to fish

Jake Hogger

If there were five places in the UK you would fish for barbel, where would they be and in what order from 1-5

Planning on visiting a few places next season

Mine would be

1. The royalty
2. Throop
3. Kings weir
4. Symonds yat
5. Biscterne

You picked venues that see a lot of action, never fished the Royalty despite living nearby in the late 70's and 80's, actually lived right by Throop, but alas work etc was the main focus.
The list changes, a few years ago it would be the Hants Avon first
The Wye now
Severn...Grueller on the Lower, but the potential for an occasional big Barbel
Warks Avon, been very good to me, just last week had two over 13lb.
Teme (holding out for this one), wild river a Barbel fishers dream, sadly not so anymore, but there are improvements to habitat that might help.
Bristol Avon (my home river, and perhaps the most beguiling of all, some long stretches that see little action. My first Barbel from here, and was my go to River as a kid, you know the drill, rod strapped to the crossbar and haversack.
But many many more, but that's the five....:)

Oh! well done on you lump from the mighty Trent, never fished the Trent, but would love too. (6?) :eek:

I fished symonds yat for a weekend a couple of years back and 4 of us caught nothing but chub and eels. Too many canoes for my liking down there

Fished Symonds Yat 2017 and had some fantastic barbel and chub. I only fished during the day, there were lots of boats, but it didn't seem to bother the fish.

Hi men,

Turning the clock back though,
Windrush.
Teme.
Kennet.
Marden.
Arrow.

Theres a theme running there , watching them up close .

Hattet
Oh! yes the Arrow, that's seven. And all the others you mention, incl Marden? that takes me back as a kid I worked for the ministry of ag at the Bacon factory in Calne, the Marden ran alongside we used to feed bacon bits to the huge Chub. :)

Oh! yes the Arrow, that's seven. And all the others you mention, incl Marden? that takes me back as a kid I worked for the ministry of ag at the Bacon factory in Calne, the Marden ran alongside we used to feed bacon bits to the huge Chub. :)

:D:eek::oops::eek::D So Neil, your the culprit, only ever fished it once, and all the chub smelt like pigs @holes :D:D:D

:D:eek::oops::eek::D So Neil, your the culprit, only ever fished it once, and all the chub smelt like pigs @holes :D:D:D
Probably being a bit naive here Derek, but did you really fish the Marden? Anther River I lived next to and never fished. That's Throop ,Royalty all (Hants Avon) and now the Marden...what was wrong with me?
Oh! yea that's it I remember...it was fishing but not as we know it.

Fished Symonds Yat 2017 and had some fantastic barbel and chub. I only fished during the day, there were lots of boats, but it didn't seem to bother the fish.
You did a lot better than us. Gorgeous surroundings though down there but the barbel just weren’t on it the weekend we were there

Back