• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

5 metre Bait spoon

Does anyone use the bait spoon method to trickle feed into a swim, if so are the result more favorable than a dropper?

I have the angling intelligence pole and spoon and have used it on occasion, dropping the rig as well. However, it can be v tricky given a bit of flow! To this end I do use the dropper most of the time.

Ive never used a spoon but would imagine its more effective when used to drop a rig in as oppossed to loose fed. You may aswell catapult your loose fed in.

If I want to make sure my loose feed is on the deck then I use a feeder as opposed to a bait dropper, I can get a feeder to drop into the water almost silently; but unless there is surface weedbed to soften the splash baitdroppers make too much noise when entrering the water for my liking.

Saying that if you fish a smallish river you can just lower a dropper in and its not a problem.

My "swim" is roughly 6 metres wide, its really really weedy. The baitdropper gets stuck on the weed each time and I make so much noise and disturbance getting it back in. I will try again with the dropper though, maybe get damp one night after work this week and make a few more holes in the weed

My "swim" is roughly 6 metres wide, its really really weedy. The baitdropper gets stuck on the weed each time and I make so much noise and disturbance getting it back in. I will try again with the dropper though, maybe get damp one night after work this week and make a few more holes in the weed
Derek on the old site had the answer to this one, use a dropper on a pole, best of both worlds.

I made one they are easy to make mine was an 8 meter £20 pole from dragon carp a bait spoon some aradite and the top of a slim bank stick. Ended up selling it just found it to much hassle.

A net float helps for skimming across the surface.

I made one they are easy to make mine was an 8 meter £20 pole from dragon carp a bait spoon some aradite and the top of a slim bank stick. Ended up selling it just found it to much hassle.

Did you ever own anything that you DIDN'T end up selling at some stage Clive :D:p:D

Cheers, Dave.

I don't know yet?

I have the angling intelligence pole and spoon and have used it on occasion, dropping the rig as well. However, it can be v tricky given a bit of flow! To this end I do use the dropper most of the time.

I bought one of the very first batch of the AI pole and spoon sets, probably about 6 years or so back (maybe a bit more....time flies:D)....and it was an absolute nightmare. It was so bendy you couldn't poke it out normally or it would break with anything over an ounce or two in the cup, so you were forced to use the landing net float method, like it or not...and that is NOT the best way at times when you have spooky fish in shallow-ish water. There were huge numbers of complaints at first, because the thread on the pole where the spoon attached broke off if you looked at it too hard. I assume they are better now? :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

The one huge asset of these setups that hasn't been mentioned yet is the ability to bait up and place your rig WAY under an overhanging tree. With a lot of trees, where the branches virtually touch the water like a canopy, that is the only way of doing that without risk, and placed perfectly every time.

Cheers, Dave.

your right richard unless you have a son like mine who pinched my boat setup
as he reckons i am too old for serious arping sessions now:(

Right I made one last night, a 6 meter whip I had spare, took the last section out and then popped a rod rest with a flared bottom as the final section. I then screwed in a Gardner bait spoon to the rod rest tip. I took it to my swim for a test and it works perfectly! I will hopefully post some photos soon

i have always used a gardener spoon but i use my landing net handle

John, have you seen the Martin Bowler footage (I believe in the 'To catch the impossible' series) where he spoons bait and eventually his rig out under the branches of a far bank willow, using a very long pole....and catches his usual monster barbel? That method is what I meant in my earlier post, which IMO is the prime use for long pole and spoon, though not previously mentioned in this thread. Sadly, you obviously need a decent quality pole with minimal bend at longer lengths (my memory is poor now, but I believe his was 14m!)...and that combination of qualities aint cheap :mad: Fortunately, some of the poles being developed now for carp in commercials are getting there, at a more reasonable price. But it's still a lot of spondoolies for an occasional use tool :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
dave, i did similar but right under the near bankside foliage for both carp and barble, mainly carp though in mid-weekdays when things are a little more quiet;)

Back