• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

4 inch pin?

Neil Blood

So if I want a 4 inch wide drum pin for static Barbel fishing with a drag system, am I restricted to a Speedia (already own) or a Ray Walton rolling pin (some good deals at the mo). Note I don't like bigger diameter pins and without drag system.

Neil, I take it you want a adjustable ratchet system if so Garry Mills is the only man who will make you a pin to what you want with his ratchet system (same as the barbel catcher) but comes at a price probably £475 plus! Upside you get exactly what you want & if you look after the pin it will always hold it's money.

Not sure why I'm bothering posting this as they are a bit larger diameter and and don't have a wide drum but the Grice and Young Avon Supreme has a drag system which works very well and they don't cost that much.

The Shakespeare Eagle is based on the Grice and Young reels and has the strongest ratchet I've ever seen on a pin. Not a trotting pin but lightweight ( having a polymer back plate ) and ideal for static lead fishing. They also come in a wide spool model and are cheap compared to some of the above.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced 4 inch plus wide drum centre pin with a strong ratchet consider a Mordex Merlin they come up fairly regularly on E bay and are a good solid reel, £50 or £60 would get you a good one

Or Mordex Major, both underrated, merlin and major both bit bigger than speedia @4 1/2" or 4 3/4" diameter and the spool is 3/4" wide (speedia WD is 1") wish I hadn't sold mine - thinking about it they were great.

Have a look at the Collectable vintage tackle website there are a number of 4 inch wide drum pins on there.It does seem that all recently manufactured pins are over 4 inch and out of your spec

I have both a Speedia wide drum, not the deluxe version, and a Mordex Merlin. Of the two I prefer the Merlin as it has a better retrieve, the Speedia needs a lot of packing to increase the drum diameter as the pillars are set so far in. They both get used for static work mainly, though the Speedia is very free running for trotting.
My trotting reel is a Harlow, great retrieve rate with it's 5"+ drum!

The drag is more important than an adjustable rachet, as I like to fish very large baits in slacker water and set the drag to just give line and sometimes with a long drop lightweight bobbin.

Back