• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

3rb bait

I spoke to Glynn last year with a view to buying bait from him, at that time it was all freezer bait which I couldn't use due to lack of a freezer which I have now remedied.
Many thanks Kevin. I have the same problem in terms of freezer space. ☹️

Having been right at the start of the invention of the boilie as I had the great fortune of meeting Fred Wilton and became friends
and then a member of the inner bait circle
so over 50 plus years of using baits and made a lot of conclusions FISH will have a go at eating ANY BAIT carp and barbel constantly suck in and sample and spit out all the time they are no where remotely as clever as most think they are
they CAN definitely prefer one bait over another even before they associate it with danger and can detect some baits that will TRIGGER its good to eat I want some of that and if in a shoal fish trigger a competitive feeding frenzy we all know if you start catching lots of bream the barbel of carp will soon come on
the old saying FIND EM FEED EM CATCH EM is so true and you can do it with any bait simply bait up steadily over a week or two the fish will be happy eating it and not being caught
that bait has blown used to be great but now hopeless ? fish aint like Elephants ! with memories for goodness sake
Pellet is unlikely to ever stop being a good barbel catcher as sooo much gets chucked in its like a natural food and still the % of fish hooked to the % of pellets safely eaten
and it generally does them good that why fish farms feed all their fish on it
a GOOD QUALITY bait that has ingredients that are beneficial to the fish will last a lot longer and WILL catch more fish Im sure

we know the 3 things that can affect any bait size/shape , colour and smell/taste on a bait that has blown simply change one of those things and the danger association often will disappear

I learnt this in the 60s up a tree on a gin clear estate pond that was lilly filled and a small stock of wary common carp my pal and I had been catching them on 1 inch cubes of luncheon meat and then a five or six weeks later bites just stopped ?

I went thikin I will pile a load in get them eating confidently on the free offerings before I launched it all in sat up the tree lobbed a stone near them you could see they were instantly aware then a min later one went and investigated it and moved on great they dont get spooked so lobbed a cube in same scenario EXCEPT ! when it got close ilted to investigate it kinda shook for a split second before powering away at high sped spooking the others too I climbed down made a cuppa thought well thats that then as I got a bucket of these blooming inch cubes they were not going to eat
I decided to chop em up into 4 and maybe the tench or other species will eat them seen the rudd pecking at them so 3/4 hour later I launched them into the same area with my catty I took some crust and went up the other end for some stalking hour later had enough came back and it was like a jacuzzi bubbling like mad and cloudy all over ? never seen it like this so I quickly shinned up the tree to see if it was a shoal of Tench ? but it was the carp
I had never seen that many in one spot I counted about a dozen ! and 2 big ones not seen before I was cursing I had chucked it all in then hunted around and found a couple of bits in the margin launched a bit out in the middle of the area hoping it would not land on one and spook it but literally 30 seconds and I was into one I hooked a second one but it was very fast and powerful and lost it in the pads
You're right Gerry. Fish are nowhere near as intelligent as some like to make out. They'll be caught regularly on the same bait if presented well at the right time in the right location.

Fishing a low density water with lots of natural food can be totally different.

What Huanzhou said. I brought some from him this year actually in March. Still selling 3rb, freezer only and 5kg minimum. Also sells the matching paste, again freezer only.

Best bait I have ever used came from 3RB. A fruit flavoured fishmeal that worked all year round.

Yes there is/was/maybe a connection to John Baker. But it’s complicated.

Handcraft baits (Gavin Neal) also make good bait including one called ‘the herb’ which may be confusing ? No connection to 3 rivers (Glyn Gomersall).
I've caught a few barbel with the herb including a 15 lb from the Thames. It's a great bait.

That’s him, no connection at all I don’t believe. I as just throwing out another one into the mix 😊 the herb has done me very proud this last year some really nice fish including a lovely 43 pound mirror. And a 40 pound common. It will be the bait I try with the barbel this year.

Looks interesting the company you mentioned but the last thing I need is another bait company to tempt me 🤣

Like I say gavins bait has given me the confidence to angle correctly than think my baits pants which probably is the reason I put more fish in the net.
The herb is good bait. I caught with it a few barbel on the Thames.

Back