• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

2nd rod

cane, i thought it was carbon or am i wrong.:confused:
Dave your bang on there, that's what you get for skipping through the small talk. Carbon or cane, its still not worth the layout; and thats me who owned 3 carbotecs..... and they go for silly money....

Jon

Hi Antony and welcome to the site! Dont worry about being ignored buddy you kind of get used to it lol. The rod should be fine for a while mate until you cut your teeth.Then when you feel confident you can buy something a little more advanced.Good luck

i use free spirits 11ft and 12ft in 1-5 tc.if you dont throw the hook bait in the snag you should be ok.test curves are misleading.in fact some of the so called match rods will hold barbel away from snags.
albert

rods are a personal thing, i would rather have Chimera for less money.:D

"Less money". I'm yet to see a Chimera for even £200, most I've seen sell at around the £210 - £220 mark.

X-Flites rrp was £170 most sold for around £150 and thats for a tri tip rod, rod selection is a very personal thing but regards price/versatility, a no brainer I'd say.:rolleyes:

Harrison's ain't got you on commission have they??;):p:D

colin, look at dave lumbs site.

A good price but still a fair way off the price that an X-Flite can be had for, especially as they seem to be being/were sold off. In the last few months they've been as low as £100 which isn't so bad. At the same price as the Chimera there's no question as to which I'd get;).

I can't fault my Harrison Torrix 12' 1.75lb tc for all my Barbel work and my 11' version for rolling meat and fishing at close range with a pin. These rods are not cheap custom made will cost you £250 to £300 but mine have been worth every penny.

I use the JW Youngs travel Barbel 12' 1.75lb 5 piece and find it great for short sessions hidden the boot of the car or holidays. I did have a problem the handle coming unglued following a battle with a double on the Kennet but araldite fixed the problem. I picked mine up on eBay for £75 and it's a great rod for the money.

Sam
I totaly agree, the key words are correctly balanced.

Dave

oops missed a couple of pages Doh

Last edited:
Whilst mostly agreeing with you Sam, especially your sentiments, I'd add that its easier (and maybe more 'forgiveable') to get snapped by a fish getting into a snag than to be snapped in open water. When the latter happens, the angler is almost always and almost entirely to blame.. e.g. his reel clutch is no good or set incorrectly, he's using unbalanced tackle, line is damaged etc.

Yes, 100lb+ shark can and are landed on 10lb bs line.. but in open water.
But that shark, when eventually landed, will be TOTALLY knackered... as will any barbel over 5lbs be when eventually landed on, say, 5lb bs line + 1.25tc rod.
Steven.. my view would be, match your rod to the line strength you're using. And if you fish within 20yds of any snag, don't use less than 10bs line. In my experience, if your using 12bs, then a 1.75-2.2tc is fine.
I mainly fish the Teme..a river full of snags (and snags is where the barbel reside in summer during daylight). I started this season using 1.75tc after using 2.2tc through the winter.. and found I was frighteningly undergunned, almost losing 2 good fish in snags first session out.
I'd feel totally confident fishing with an Avon rod for double-figure carp in a snag-free stillwater.. but I'd feel irresponsible using the same rod to fish for barbel in a snaggy river.
There is nothing worse than being connected to a good barbel, with your rod wrapped round to its grunting max and your line 'singing'.. and knowing that you are not in control.

I give respect to all other angler's views.. but my greatest respect goes to the barbel I'm fishing for.

Ooooops.. had only looked at first page of this thread.. didn't see pages 2, 3, and 4! But anyway.. my opinion, for what its worth, still stands.
Respect to All.

Back