• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

22lb Pike River Tees 30/01/11

James Hinley

Having blanked on my last 5 fishing trips (all in 2011), i wasn't expecting much this morning but the conditions seemed spot on for a pike or two.

Went down to a local stretch of the Tees with smelt as bait, and chucked it out to a dead tree on the far bank next to some slack water. I didnt have to wait long at all for my rod to start moving, i gave it 10 seconds or so before hitting into the fish. I thought that i must have snagged the tree, because it didn't move or do much and just felt like a solid lump. It wasn't until i managed to give it some stick that it came to life, and there wasn't much i could do about it when it did move! It surfaced after 4 mins or so and it was then i realised it was a double. I managed to get the fish near the bank before it went off again, and this time it was heart in mouth time until my clutch slipped at the right moment. Every time the fish surfaced, my estimate of it's size got bigger, and 6 mins into the fight i was guessing about 15 pounds. Suddenly it was over as the fish came into the net which my brother had skillfully placed. It wasn't until i lifted the net that i realised i could have a 20!!!

It weighed in at 23lb, with the net taking up 1/2lb so i settled at 22.5lb! Not bad for the first fish of the year.....

Nothing else happened for the rest of the morning, but i wasn't that bothered!!

100_2107.jpg

Well done James...a cracker, and a river fish to boot......

Cracking Tees esox bud having fished the Tees for 20 years before l moved to sheffield thats a superb river fish my best is 15lb from the Tees..theres something bout a 20 pike thats just awe inspiring think of a 40 thats just unreal...
Seems bout right l never had a full run the bites are always rod taps and slight run when give line..

Cheers

Last edited:
Cheers guys.

Mook, it's strange how these things happen isn't it? This was my first pike session of the year, i'd set a 2011 target of 15lb, and within 15 mins of casting out i had a 22lber!!

Obviously going for the barbel, but when conditions allow the pike will be in the back of my mind! (though i have my eyes set on a cracking roach swim on the tees :)), and there is also a very perchy looking stretch i've been eyeing up!

Thats the thing bout fishing m8 ye go out thinking 15 and a 22 comes along ye dont know what that next run will be. Ive been to dam flask here in sheffield 6 times its very deep and havent had a sniff that is one hard venue, would go again if transport was available as its only 8 miles from me..
Shame ye dont live closer m8 !!!

Excellent result James. Nice to see your persistence paid off as the Tees can be harsh on you as I know from personal experience. There are some truly lovely stretches that never see an angler due to there remote locations, hope to see you on the bank some time, I fish off a Stockton AC ticket.

Cracking fish mate, bet your over the moon. I was hoping to have a try for my first Tees pike this winter but up to now time/conditions seem to be aginst me. Still time before the season ends though.

Well done

Matt

nice fish james well done the pike fishing has been hard this year on the tees . you will have to go for a new target now a 25 pounder

Back