• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

2 x new i-powers listed in the BFW shop

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I've just listed to new matching i-powers in the BFW shop, available separately as well.

Cheers,
Andy

Hi all,

I've just listed to new matching i-powers in the BFW shop, available separately as well.

Cheers,
Andy
Andy, £340 each 🧐 Really, why? I love my Harrison Barbel rods and have just had them refurbished for £188 the pair but £340 for any fishig rod is excessive IMO, Sorry 😏

On the face of it it looks expensive, but as Richard rightly points out it's very highly specced. The isoblobs alone would typically cost around £30 for a rod builder to do. Then there is the reel seat, handle, matt finish - it all adds up. And everything costs more in this post-Brexit/pandemic era.

There is a more basic spec I-power available.

Nobody is forced to buy them, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

The build and spec really does look lovely, I like the fact its fitted with alc's rather than SIC's, a much better option for a barbel rod imo.

Andy, £340 each 🧐 Really, why? I love my Harrison Barbel rods and have just had them refurbished for £188 the pair but £340 for any fishig rod is excessive IMO, Sorry 😏

Have you bought a Harrison blank recently? The blank alone comes in at over £100. Add in the cost of all the other (quality) components plus epoxy and other sundries and you're at around £250. Now take out the cost to take an online payment fee which will be around £10. That leaves £80 for the rod builder and BFW! That's barely minimum wage!

Out of interest, I just specced out a rod on another UK rod builders site and it came in at £347. This rod didn't have a painted tip or isotope either.

Funnily enough I played golf with someone recently who had just paid £400 for one Ping golf club, probably made in a Chinese factory.

£340 for a one off (ok two!), lovingly made UK product seems fair to me.

Andy

See my reply above.

I've just looked through some old (15 year) quotes/invoices and we were selling single tip rods for up to £350 even back then...
My 11 foot torrix rods are built to near on exactly the same spec baring the fact my reel seat is just the standard Fuji dps, but that’s balanced out with the fact I have hook keepers.
I paid more for my rods nearly 2 years ago.

I paid about that for a Torrix tip rod from Mark Tunley.
Most I've ever paid by quite a lot but he nailed exactly what I wanted and after one season it is the one rod I'd keep above all others

I wasn't going to comment but If anybody is in any doubt regarding price then it's fairly easy to work out.
Go to a rod building parts supplier and do the calculations.

Parts have increased in price generally due to a number of reasons and courier prices have escalated seemingly beyond control.
Prices can vary widely within a component type - take cork, you can pay between 8 and 35+quid for a handle.

'Profits' are minimal and there are the odd occasions where you take a hit and make next to nothing on a rod.
You don't take up rod making to earn a fortune and some of us reinvest in equipment to make rod building a bit easier.

Cheers
Bob

opinions were all entitled to them 😁 happy days. was just thinking about this what do i know not a lot 🤣

It is an expensive rod but I would say the price is fair.
If you check with any rod builder for that spec, the price will be the same or higher not to mention the lower shipping cost.
If there's one thing I don't like about the rod, that is the foregrip, I normally prefer a longer one, but that is really personal.

you’re right to comment and have an opinion
No bear pits on here
- it is a lot of money for a rod but I think it’s a fair price for what you’re getting and I think that’s all we’re saying
Your right there great rods no disagreement on that part at all. And i suppose something is only worth what your willing to pay for it.

Back