• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

17ft float rods

Neil Blood

Does anyone have experience of currently available 17ft float rods, other than the Acolyte?

I want one for Perch fishing, laying on under a float, with 6lb Mainline and 5lb hooklengths. I also won’t be holding the rod, so it will mostly be fished on the rod rest with a centrepin. The Drennan 17ft Acolyte isn’t powerful enough, as I also expect to encounter 5lb+ Chub and 10lb+ Barbel, which in inevitable when fishing lobworms.

I note Daiwa do several 17ft float rods, but it’s not like you can just walk in your local tackle shop and have a waggle. If Drennan did an Acolyte 17ft Plus, I’d buy one tomorrow, but they don’t.

Does anyone have experience of currently available 17ft float rods, other than the Acolyte?

I want one for Perch fishing, laying on under a float, with 6lb Mainline and 5lb hooklengths. I also won’t be holding the rod, so it will mostly be fished on the rod rest with a centrepin. The Drennan 17ft Acolyte isn’t powerful enough, as I also expect to encounter 5lb+ Chub and 10lb+ Barbel, which in inevitable when fishing lobworms.

I note Daiwa do several 17ft float rods, but it’s not like you can just walk in your local tackle shop and have a waggle. If Drennan did an Acolyte 17ft Plus, I’d buy one tomorrow, but they don’t
Reel lines 2-8 lb on the 17ft

I have a Diawa Spectron 17/20 foot rod and it has some real power 👌

Attachments

• 20231226_092709.jpg
    20231226_092709.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20231226_092745.jpg
    20231226_092745.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 59

I note Daiwa do several 17ft float rods, but it’s not like you can just walk in your local tackle shop and have a waggle. If Drennan did an Acolyte 17ft Plus, I’d buy one tomorrow, but they don’t.
Neil, I haven't fished with my 17' Acolyte a lot but its a lot more powerful than I imagined. I hooked and landed an 8lb Wye barbel on a 0.10 bottom and I was surprised at how good the rod was. It will definitely cope with big chub easily imo and the odd barbel.

Neil, I haven't fished with my 17' Acolyte a lot but its a lot more powerful than I imagined. I hooked and landed an 8lb Wye barbel on a 0.10 bottom and I was surprised at how good the rod was. It will definitely cope with big chub easily imo and the odd barbel.
A lot more power in that rod than people think. My mate broke his personal best barbel using one while trotting for chub on the stour. 13,1 it went.
Not ideal but the rod managed it despite the fact he was convinced it was going to go bang.

The 17' Acolyte Float is reputed to fall somewhere between an Ultra and a Plus as far as power is concerned. However, it needs to be pointed out that the action is quite unlike the rest of the Acolyte Float rods. It bends dramatically with minimal provocation through the top section. You can play a fish of less than a pound and people viewing will think you are attached to Moby Dick. This does leave people thinking that it's rather lacking in power.

For a while, I had it pegged as a rod for silvers and nothing more. Fish don't tend to read the script though and, sooner or later, you get to find out how capable it really is. The first time you hook something lumpy it's quite alarming. After you've done it a few times, you stop worrying. I can't claim to have tangled with barbel using my 17' Acolyte. I've got about as much chance of tangling with a burbot these days. However, I know folks that have caught barbel on them. Big eels, tench to over 6lb, chub around 5lb and brown trout to over 4lb have all been fish I've tested my 17' Acolyte with. Despite this, it's not a rod I'd deliberately target barbel with.

I also have the 17' Hi-S. Again, it has not been tested with a barbel. It's not likely to be unless I travel a lot further than my current haunts. It also has the misfortune to be a bit more through actioned than my preference for a trotting rod. It's more my idea of a stillwater waggler rod, with more power.

I do have two or three other 17'+ rods lurking. However, all of them are a long way from being current rods.

Back