• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

17 more Drought Areas Declared by EA!

Ray Walton

These SW Water Companies would rather see the rivers and streams dry out, leaving fish, wildfowl and wildlife stranded and dying before applying consumer and business restrictions, in fear of losing monetary profit!
You would have thought they would have learnt from the SE regions (where restrictions now apply) and where the water supplies have reached dangerously low levels leaving all fish and wildlife at risk! The British rivers, streams and countryside together with its wildlife, fish, insects and every living creature living in these once green and pleasant lands are suffering and will continue to suffer and may die due to these money grabbing and profit orientated water companies!
BBC News - Drought may last until Christmas: Environment Agency

to right ray, it's about time they didn't get away with it no more, if only!

I see they have finally admitted that the Stour and Avon are suffering dreadfully. Funny how the experts who were denying there was a problem back in the Summer are now the same ones lecturing us on the consequences of the water shortage.

Having watched the disasterous low levels and dry gravels on the upper dorset stour on telly today, it seems the local water company is not listening and blatently lignoring environmental concerns and is carrying on as normal without the blinking a bloody eyelid! The same goes for the Hampshire Avon where they are still sucking out what water remains until it becomes bone dry (like elsewhere) and devoid of life!

All is not quite lost>>>>>> 10 day Weather in London - weather.co.uk

We'll need these over the net 10 days or so. ;)

Singin-in-the-rain_1024.jpg

You will probably find that there is a priority to keep the barges and boats afloat as they pay fees to British Waterways etc! I remember a long time ago on the River Lea where the Lea navigation sections intermingle with the old main river, similar to the Kennet and Avon Canal doing the same along the River Kennet! The authorities can contol what water goes into the river via the weirs, so keeping the canal sections topped up in low flows and levels. Some reservoirs also do this. It was not uncommon for the Kings Weir and Fishers Green sections to virtually dry out on occassions leaving fish stranded on the gravels and killing macro invertebrates (food for fish) due to the lock and automatic weir controls. So really, the river sections have become a secondary priority, i think, although that might change if any Drought Orders are enforced to where they may start draining the canals as well, leaving the boats stranded in the mud.

Last edited:
well, i wouldn't like to see the canal drained but it seems on the GU canal here, looks very healthy, the colne next it looks desperate, there is a weir and sluice here as well, but the gate is only opened in flood conditions, seems very strange, I'm sure the canal can spare a bit.

Back