• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

12 ft harrison chimera no 3 Question

Robert Linwood

Just purchased a new one of these any suggestions on what reel size you would put on it I’ll only be using it for the big rivers like the wye & Trent

I've got the Shimano Ci4+ Medium Baitrunners on mine, gutsy reels for gutsy rods. Balance seems fine. I use the lighter 5000 size Shimanos on my 12' 2lb & 1.75lb Torrix rods, they didn't feel right on my C3 rods.

I use mine on the Thames in winter and use thick (.38 or .4) line as I can hook very large carp.

I started with 25 year old Shimano gt4000 (the pike size ones) which were fine but a bit worn out. Then I tried my carp reels - some fancy Ci4 5500 Shimano non baitrunners, but sold them as I didn’t like them. Ended up with Okuma 6000 inc reels which so far have been fine.

I actually don’t like Baitrunners - so the Okumas suit me. Even better would be a bigger (than standard 4000 size) ‘fighting drag’ reel but they don’t seem to exist.

I actually don’t like Baitrunners - so the Okumas suit me. Even better would be a bigger (than standard 4000 size) ‘fighting drag’ reel but they don’t seem to exist.
Very very rare but shimano did make a 6010 model years ago with fighting drag rather than baitrunner. I repaired one some months back. It’s the one and only time I’ve ever seen one. Worth keeping an eye out as they do pop up ……. Once in an eclipse 😳

Very very rare but shimano did make a 6010 model years ago with fighting drag rather than baitrunner. I repaired one some months back. It’s the one and only time I’ve ever seen one. Worth keeping an eye out as they do pop up ……. Once in an eclipse 😳
Thanks Rich.

I didnt know that; I will keep looking. I think fighting drags are brilliant.

Thanks Rich.

I didnt know that; I will keep looking. I think fighting drags are brilliant.
Clive had a couple going 2 years ago.

I love 3500b,s…… but my god the line lay it looks like it’s been wound on by hand by stevie wonder with his hands in bandages
I'm not sure it even looks that good!

That said, as bad as it looks I've never found it interferes with functionality. I change my lines regularly, and I can't remember the last time I did an overhead cast for barbel.

They feel great bringing in heavy leads and feeders and the clutch as as good as I've found.

I think some things need to just be left how they are as improving them would simply make them not what they are if that makes sense.

If you want an improvement on the 3500B line lay buy a 6000D
If you want an SS2600 that doesn’t shake like a S……… dog buy a Tournament 20.

These cult classic retro reels are imperfectly as they should be…… quirks n all. 😎

I think some things need to just be left how they are as improving them would simply make them not what they are if that makes sense.

If you want an improvement on the 3500B line lay buy a 6000D
If you want an SS2600 that doesn’t shake like a S……… dog buy a Tournament 20.

These cult classic retro reels are imperfectly as they should be…… quirks n all. 😎
I actually use ss1000,s for 90%of my fishing rich and had a mint pair of 3500b,s I bought from John Costello and I loved them but my OCD kicked in with the line lay

Clive had a couple going 2 years ago.
They aren't too uncommon-I bought two separately last year on, one on ebay and one from a car boot. Paid £35.00 for one and £25.00 for the other. There was another on ebay at the same time that I was outbid on (cos i'm tight), so its well worth looking out for them.e

Back