• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

12’ crystalite or 11’ ultra float

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
There’s a tiny little beck/stream/river I fish in winter not far from me. It’s a small bit of free fishing that’s kept very quiet and it holds some really nice sport. Grayling to 2lb, dace and roach over a pound and afew resident chub/trout.

It’s very wild fishing with trees all on our bank and while I attacked it last season with the 13’ Titan 2000, something slightly shorter would get me into swims that I’m currently missing out on. The Titan as well is a tad brutal with the smaller more delicate mouthed fish and I’m thinking going shorter and lighter would improve everything all round.

In an ideal world if money was no object I’d go 12’ microlite 2000. But this is the only stretch of river where this particular rod would really be used by me just afew times in winter and I am not prepared to throw £300 plus at a rod just for that when other rods available are equally up to the job.

So I’ve narrowed it down. Do I go 12ft im8 crystalite (I know of an unused new one I could buy tomorrow)
Or do I go another foot shorter and buy the acolyte ultra float at 11ft.
I don’t need length in a rod to aid to my advantage as we are talking very narrow and very shallow.
So what’s your suggestions between the two or can you suggest a better option (if it’s “better” tell me why it’s better not just because…..)

Maximum 12ft
Main lines 1-3lb ish
Fish size range 0.5lb - 3lb

Cheers
IMG_3510.jpeg

From a practicality point of view, if the 11’ rod will do the job why bother with a longer rod which may not get you into all the swims you want to cover?🙂

Dave

From a practicality point of view, if the 11’ rod will do the job why bother with a longer rod which may not get you into all the swims you want to cover?🙂

Dave
Solid point Dave. I firmly believe the 11 would be ideal. I’m not going to be hindered on the rod being not long enough that’s for sure

Having owned both, don't even think about trotting with a Crystalight unless you aren't trotting very far at all. They are decent rods for light waggler fishing at short range (canals/small stillwaters), but they are too through actioned for setting hooks at longer range. Not great for mending line either.

I have an 11 foot ultra for exactly what you are doing there and it’s great teamed up with aero 3000 XR and it’s good to go. I use it for a little wier and some side cuts of a main drag in winter here and hit a 6lb jack by accident and it was fine a little sporty. I mainly go for roach on mine and it’s just perfect. Can bring with when I see you if you want.

Having owned both, don't even think about trotting with a Crystalight unless you aren't trotting very far at all. They are decent rods for light waggler fishing at short range (canals/small stillwaters), but they are too through actioned for setting hooks at longer range. Not great for mending line either.
Thanks Chris.
I did think you of most people would of had real experience with both rods so that information is fabulous. Appreciate it. 👍🏻

I am in the same boot, looking for a short float rod for trotting a narrow swim. And I was thinking of Mark Tunley's 8ft float rod, but after ledgering the swim a few times, (I found this is a really good way to understand the swim) I think I will go with 11ft acolyte.

I am in the same boot, looking for a short float rod for trotting a narrow swim. And I was thinking of Mark Tunley's 8ft float rod, but after ledgering the swim a few times, (I found this is a really good way to understand the swim) I think I will go with 11ft acolyte.
I honestly couldn’t think of a single reason to want an 8ft float rod.
11ft is gonna be a bit of an eye opener for me (nearly always use 15’s these days) but 8ft!!!!! If a swim is that tight that I need something that short then it wasn’t meant for me to attempt to fish it …..

I have a similar scenario; very narrow section of the Ouzel that has some cracking Dace in it, I only fish it a handful of times a year. I have no experience of the rods you mention but for my trips I use an 11ft Drennan Ultralight paired with a 506. The rod has lightning fast pick up and handles delicate bottoms, have used it often with 2Ib/20 hooks and also managed to land the odd rogue Chub with no issue. I remember years ago reading an article penned by Stef Horak who advocated using very light bottoms when Chub fishing and just ‘guiding’ the fish in without bullying them, I was always sceptical about this until using this rod…and when hooking the odd Chub doing just that, just holding the rod and let it do its thing, it works and you get them in surprisingly quickly in snag free sections. This rod is just fun to use for silverfish.

I still retain three 11'(ish) rods for short range, light float fishing on stillwaters and trotting on becks/small rivers. They are an 11' Acolyte Ultra, an 11'6" Browning Sphere Hotrods Silvers Edition and a shortened (to 11') Daiwa Tom Pickering Matchwinner Spliced Tip. I have previously owned both the Drennan Super Crystalight and 11' Drennan Matchpro Ultralight for the same niches. The Browning is most directly comparable to the Crystalight and the Matchpro Ultralight to the Acolyte Ultra. In both instances, I retained the option I felt was better. However, I know full well that plenty would have retained the Matchpro Ultralight over the Acolyte. For some, this would come down to differences between the actions, but there are other factors (valid and not) that may put folks off an Acolyte. For precisely the same reasons as I've said I wouldn't use a Crystalight for trotting, I wouldn't use the Sphere. The biggest issue I perceive with the 11' Matchpro Ultralight is that they are now long discontinued and are surprisingly uncommon on the secondary market.

I still retain three 11'(ish) rods for short range, light float fishing on stillwaters and trotting on becks/small rivers. They are an 11' Acolyte Ultra, an 11'6" Browning Sphere Hotrods Silvers Edition and a shortened (to 11') Daiwa Tom Pickering Matchwinner Spliced Tip. I have previously owned both the Drennan Super Crystalight and 11' Drennan Matchpro Ultralight for the same niches. The Browning is most directly comparable to the Crystalight and the Matchpro Ultralight to the Acolyte Ultra. In both instances, I retained the option I felt was better. However, I know full well that plenty would have retained the Matchpro Ultralight over the Acolyte. For some, this would come down to differences between the actions, but there are other factors (valid and not) that may put folks off an Acolyte. For precisely the same reasons as I've said I wouldn't use a Crystalight for trotting, I wouldn't use the Sphere. The biggest issue I perceive with the 11' Matchpro Ultralight is that they are now long discontinued and are surprisingly uncommon on the secondary market.
Unfortunately I don’t possess an 11 ft float rod. I only intend to buy 1.
Would you then say based on my requirements and the venue/fish description that the acolyte is probably the most suitable out of the several you’ve used/own

Unfortunately I don’t possess an 11 ft float rod. I only intend to buy 1.
Would you then say based on my requirements and the venue/fish description that the acolyte is probably the most suitable out of the several you’ve used/own

Given that none of the alternatives I have/had are current apart from the Acolyte, yes. I would also suggest that the Acolyte, is in my opinion, the most versatile option. For me, the Acolyte float rods, bar the 17'er, have actions that fall halfway between my ideals for trotting and waggler fishing. They do both things pretty well. The Matchpro was a good option, when current, for those on a tighter budget or those that prefer a slightly more through action in their float rods.

Given that none of the alternatives I have/had are current apart from the Acolyte, yes. I would also suggest that the Acolyte, is in my opinion, the most versatile option. For me, the Acolyte float rods, bar the 17'er, have actions that fall halfway between my ideals for trotting and waggler fishing. They do both things pretty well. The Matchpro was a good option, when current, for those on a tighter budget or those that prefer a slightly more through action in their float rods.
I’ve always liked Acolyte float rods Chris so your recommendation works even better for me as I know they are a safe bet particularly if taking the plunge and buying blind.
I don’t believe there is a finer range of rods for the 200 n odd quid they are priced.

I really like the action on the 17ft Version I think it’s a very grossly underrated rod more capable than people think. My friend smashed his barbel pb on the acolyte 17 last winter on the stour fishing for big chub.
I’ve used it for chub afew times myself and I love it. Such a great rod and fantastic weight

I use the 13' Acolyte Ultra float and a centrepin, used the 11' rod but felt the 13' gave better float control and allowed me to stand/sit back from the edge or reach over reed beds on the slightly wider stream I fish.
Given the width of the stream in the image the 11' Acolyte Ultra will be perfect.

I found by chance browning champions choice rods, brown blanks, circa 2010, in a 10' bomb and 11.6 float. I use them on small match lakes. I love them both, the bomb so much I sold my hardy ultralite bomb as I thought it silly to tie up that sort of money. Rarely come up. The float is really light and sensitive. The handle is superb, swelling up to the reel seat. Best grip I have ever used.

I’ve always liked Acolyte float rods Chris so your recommendation works even better for me as I know they are a safe bet particularly if taking the plunge and buying blind.
I don’t believe there is a finer range of rods for the 200 n odd quid they are priced.

I really like the action on the 17ft Version I think it’s a very grossly underrated rod more capable than people think. My friend smashed his barbel pb on the acolyte 17 last winter on the stour fishing for big chub.
I’ve used it for chub afew times myself and I love it. Such a great rod and fantastic weight
Amen to the 17’ Acolyte! I’ve also comfortably had barbel on mine- powers up very well indeed.

Richard is prolly well sorted by now, but for what it's worth I would recommend the 11ft drennan carp waggler rod. I've used one for small rivers catching dace and roach and it was perfect for the job. I also caught a lot of better than average chub with it and it coverd that scenario also.
Someone wanted to swap a brand new 13ft plus for it so I couldn't say no. I do have a 12ft carp waggler version which again is perfect for that purpose.
The carp waggler name gives the wrong impression!

Richard is prolly well sorted by now, but for what it's worth I would recommend the 11ft drennan carp waggler rod. I've used one for small rivers catching dace and roach and it was perfect for the job. I also caught a lot of better than average chub with it and it coverd that scenario also.
Someone wanted to swap a brand new 13ft plus for it so I couldn't say no. I do have a 12ft carp waggler version which again is perfect for that purpose.
The carp waggler name gives the wrong impression!
Hi Ian.
Yes I went with the advice from Chris and bought an acolyte ultra 11ft float.
I’ve only used it a couple of times very recently as it is a very specific rod for a very specific type of venue.
Winter time on the becks and streams with small sticks and top n bottom floats to about 3g maximum

To be fair I’d of been daft not to go with Chris’s suggestion just based on the fact that the things he looks for in float rods fall very similar in line with my own priorities and in this case as you’d expect he was right on the money also because the rod is spot on.

It’s very fast acting not just in the tip but probably in most of the top half. It’s got a nice little bit of stiffness about it lower down just below the joint and even with a decent chub or trout giving you the run around, the rod both absorbs and applies pressure well so you’ve got plenty there if it’s needed.

I have just 2 niggles with it and the first would probably resolve the second.
The spacing between the guides on the very tip is too big really, it could do with another couple of guides on there to close up the gaps a bit more. This would help guide the line a little better on the tip and reduce the amount of fraps as it is more prone for them than my other rods.
It would also add a little weight to the rod nose which I think is odd asking for but it would benefit from it.
This thing is so light it’s unreal. Even my lightest reel of 230g is a touch on the weighty side for it and it makes the rod feel so wand like. You really have to think about it when striking at close quarters that a tiny flick is definitely enough.

Anyway these are just tiny ocd niggles and on the whole it’s exactly what I wanted. I had some cracking dace/roach/chublet sport on it last week and the rod was an absolute pleasure.
IMG_2099.jpeg
IMG_2091.jpeg
IMG_2089.jpeg
IMG_2095.jpeg

Glad to hear you got what you wanted.
I have had a waggle with the ultras in a shop, and yes they weigh very little....excellent rods for sure.
I prefere the carp waggler though, having that little extra power suites me more. Imo drennan should have just labelled the carp waggler acolytes as 11 and 12ft acolyte plus's.
I will get another 11ft carp waggler when I get round to it!

Back